New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Switching to Mini Using Existing PC Peripherals

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matelot

matelot is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: dont have one yet <sob>

Does anyone here have experience of switching from PC to Mac Mini
and used your existing KB, mouse, external HDD etc ?

Because this is the route I'll be going, if possible - just spending money on the Mini and use all existing (USB) peripherals and I wonder if it will work and how the experiences are.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D R

D R is on a distinguished road

I ended up buying a mac keyboard and used a left over microsoft usb mouse. All worked fine. Since I kept my Windows Vista PC, I hooked the mini into the VGA connector on my monitor. I just switch between the two.

I didn't want to change out my keyboard, which is still PS2 and my bluetooth mouse, so that's why I did what I did. I could get adapters, but I'm fine with it the way it is.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, probably not; but it's my experience. Things are fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. The HD, KB, and mouse will work fine.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you use a PC keyboard, how to do emulate that Media Eject key? Without that, it is difficult to use CDs and DVDs...

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
If you use a PC keyboard, how to do emulate that Media Eject key? Without that, it is difficult to use CDs and DVDs...
Not really. Firstly, F12 usually triggers an eject in the absence of an actual ⏏ key. More obviously, though, the mini has a slot-load drive, and you eject disks by dragging them to the Trash, or choosing File > Eject, or from the Finder sidebar.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Agreed with Tech. I have seen some keyboards like say Logitech and Microsoft that had an OSX driver where you could re-map the function keys. It's been a while but I thought one of them had a way to assign a key for eject. Just drag it to the trash or use the menu command.

Also you can Right Click and eject DVD's. Just tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

About the only time you need to use F12 or the dedicated Eject key is on a Mac Pro, Power Mac, or an old iMac G4 to open the tray-loading CD drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is an IMAC right for us? | OSX Leopard Pre-Installed ? »