Thread: Mac Donalds

Mac Donalds

Mac Donalds
    I am and Wintel guys - used Macs about 8 years ago.

I have a Windows network, and of course our graphics guy wants a Mac.

So some questions about the Mac G5:

1) Can I plug it into our network via a Cat 6 cable - and will the OS have all the networking capabilities that Windows will have?

2) I have some high-end PCI-E graphics cards - can I just swap out the graphics card, just like I would with a Wintel machine?

3) Same for memory?

Mac Donalds
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSatan View Post
    1) Can I plug it into our network via a Cat 6 cable - and will the OS have all the networking capabilities that Windows will have?
    Cat 6 is Backward compatible. Yes, Mac should work even if it is an older model.

2) I have some high-end PCI-E graphics cards - can I just swap out the graphics card, just like I would with a Wintel machine?
    Nope. It wont work

3) Same for memory?
    Only RAM specified by will work.

Mac Donalds

Specs:
    See Sig...
    1. Yes, it will work fine.
    2. Not quite. You can *flash* certain PC cards with Mac video BIOS files, and then they'll work in the Mac. The extent to which they'll work varies from chipset to chipset, and sometimes-if the manufacturer of the card deviates from the chipset manufacturer's reference design-from card to card. With some, all the features work, with other chipsets/cards, you may lose a monitor port or something else, but retain basic functionality.
    3. The newer (DDR, DDR2) Macs aren't as fickle about RAM as the older machines are. Anything that meets the required specs that's decent quality will work fine, whether it's specifically labeled Mac compatible or not.
    MCCCXXXVII
    Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
    MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
    G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA

Mac Donalds
    Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    So some questions about the Mac G5:
    The G5 Macs were discontinued in January 2006.

All are now Intel Core 2 Duo machines. Do your questions refer to the Mac Pro or iMac?

The iMac is an all in one device, like a laptop, and cannot have the GPU upgraded.

Thread Information