New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac Donalds

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DarthSatan

DarthSatan is on a distinguished road

I am and Wintel guys - used Macs about 8 years ago.

I have a Windows network, and of course our graphics guy wants a Mac.

So some questions about the Mac G5:

1) Can I plug it into our network via a Cat 6 cable - and will the OS have all the networking capabilities that Windows will have?

2) I have some high-end PCI-E graphics cards - can I just swap out the graphics card, just like I would with a Wintel machine?

3) Same for memory?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSatan View Post
1) Can I plug it into our network via a Cat 6 cable - and will the OS have all the networking capabilities that Windows will have?
Cat 6 is Backward compatible. Yes, Mac should work even if it is an older model.

Quote:
2) I have some high-end PCI-E graphics cards - can I just swap out the graphics card, just like I would with a Wintel machine?
Nope. It wont work

Quote:
3) Same for memory?
Only RAM specified by will work.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

1. Yes, it will work fine.
  2. Not quite. You can *flash* certain PC cards with Mac video BIOS files, and then they'll work in the Mac. The extent to which they'll work varies from chipset to chipset, and sometimes-if the manufacturer of the card deviates from the chipset manufacturer's reference design-from card to card. With some, all the features work, with other chipsets/cards, you may lose a monitor port or something else, but retain basic functionality.
  3. The newer (DDR, DDR2) Macs aren't as fickle about RAM as the older machines are. Anything that meets the required specs that's decent quality will work fine, whether it's specifically labeled Mac compatible or not.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
So some questions about the Mac G5:
The G5 Macs were discontinued in January 2006.

All are now Intel Core 2 Duo machines. Do your questions refer to the Mac Pro or iMac?

The iMac is an all in one device, like a laptop, and cannot have the GPU upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Missing iLife | mac pro nvidia or ati x1900 »