New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 hardware question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwilliamson

cwilliamson is on a distinguished road

its definatly a sawtooth, also instead of dishing out 300-500 bucks on a processor that website is it possible to take a dual cpu that came out of like a quicksilver or mirror door machine? and also same question for mother boards, because i doubt i can find a decent 2x agp card that wont cost me a arm and leg
QUOTE Thanks
celica73

celica73 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliamson View Post
its definatly a sawtooth, also instead of dishing out 300-500 bucks on a processor that website is it possible to take a dual cpu that came out of like a quicksilver or mirror door machine? and also same question for mother boards, because i doubt i can find a decent 2x agp card that wont cost me a arm and leg
Define decent and cheap? I've got an ATI Radeon 8500 I just pulled from my Sawtooth that will probably sell for cheap. It doesn't support Core Image so it isn't really worth a lot now that iMovie requires it (the irony, I got the 8500 for iMovie 6, so I could use the real-time effects previews, now a new version of iMovie comes out and I buy yet another video card).

With the right video card, you can run iMovie 7 and Front Row on a Sawtooth

I paid a lot to get a flashed Nvidia 6200, but could have bought a generic PC version and flashed it myself for about 1/2 the price (or less). I just don't have the PC or the time to do the flashing. XBench put the Nvidia card about 1% faster than the ATI.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i have a similar problem, i was loooking at getting a used dual 450mhz g4 to put in my sawtooth, the cpu board came out of a gigabit machine, can i put that cpu card in my sawtooth with out having to do any modifaction to the logic board?

edit: and it would basically make it twice as fast it would be about have a 800 or 900mhz g4 right?
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

No, you have to desolder the IDE header for the optical drives and use a PCI IDE card. And no, it wouldn't make it twice as fast, or necessarily even close to twice as fast. It is application dependent; if an application isn't multithreaded it won't do anything for it.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

so as much as its going to hurt, it'd just be better to buy a 1ghz g4 or above from sonnet
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Unless you've got some skill with desoldering things, and a desire to put those skills to work on your G4, yes.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac mini sleep issues! | Why does this happen? »