New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New Dual G5 2.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pmj

I just received my new dual G5 2.5 ghz and while I love how fast it is... there is an odd "revving" sound that happens on and off, randomly, while I use the computer... I've never heard this sound on any system I've used before -- it's not a fan (I can hear them go on and off -- the constant fan is fairly quiet) and it's not the DVD/CD drive...

A friend thinks it's the pump that circulates the liquid 'coolant' that surrounds the chips in this model...

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

p.s. I ran the hardware test and everything seems to be working fine -- I'm on OS 10.3.4 etc.

p.s.s. It just went off again as I write this -- it sounds like a wind-up toy! Could it just be the way this thing sounds???
QUOTE Thanks
llaamaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
I just received my new dual G5 2.5 ghz and while I love how fast it is... there is an odd "revving" sound that happens on and off, randomly, while I use the computer...

p.s.s. It just went off again as I write this -- it sounds like a wind-up toy! Could it just be the way this thing sounds???
I am just days away from ordering a dual 2.0 G5 so it hurts me to even say this .... call apple?
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

call them

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
specops1526

Just got my new 2.5 on friday. So far so good. Mine's quiet as a mouse, knock on wood. Call apple.
QUOTE Thanks
pmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526
Just got my new 2.5 on friday. So far so good. Mine's quiet as a mouse, knock on wood. Call apple.
I just got off the phone with Apple...

And guess what... They have no idea what it is, but it's not "normal.''

I have to take it in tomorrow...

ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
specops1526

Mine does "Rev Up" when it comes out of sleep mode if that's what you mean. Almost like an engine. plus the occasional hard drive spinning noises, but much quieter than my other computers. Let us know what the verdict is.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

i have yet to notice anything like that but i would acutally think it is normal being a former G5 user. The novelty wares off after awhile. I do love the G5 though. Just i like my mobility. NO STRINGS ATTACHED kind of thing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB wireless adapter for iMac? | Upgrading my iMac G3 for DVD movies »