New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

system to system question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

enorblack

I own 2 Quicksilver G4 powermacs, one has the new Panther version 10.3. The other computer runs on OS9 and OSX 10.2, the MAC with Panther is horrible, it crashes, freezes or stops programs, SAFARI is bad too, now I am thinking to reinstall 10.2 and OS9 as on my other MAC since that one runs perfectly. Now my question is. Is it possible to run the other MAC as firwire by hitting T, so the Macintosh HD pops up on the other MAC, then I delete everything on there and drag all the files from my first MAC G4 to the 2nd G4 Harddisk, so it contains all the system files. Instead of using the discs from Apple and reinstall everything the old fashion way..I know this is possible with programs, but a complete system too????
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

If panther is crashy aqnd freezy, there is def. a problem! My suggestion would be to remedy that first..Once Panther is running correctly, I have a strong feeling that you won't want to put OS 9 and Jaguar on it!
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

Yes, but thats the thing, whats IS the problem? All the applications I need to run my business are under 9 and OS jaguar and never have problems, so why not switch it. Question is just if I can copy system files to the other HD in order to have it running
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I would guess a hardware problem. The Quicksilver Macs are powerfull enough to run Panther smoothly.
Even an AGP Mac can run Panther without trouble.

I'm quite sure that, if you install Jaguar and OS9 on that Mac, it will still be crashing too. I don't think that Panther is the problem...

Try the hardware check of your system restore disk.
My first guess: RAM troubles
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

The hardware test CD that I got with my other MAC says it does not support my newer quicksilver MAC. The only thing I got with it is the restore software disc 1 and 2, and I remember I tried to install this software a couple of times when I got this trouble months ago, but nothing seemed to work. I thought it could be the RAM, what if I take out RAM and see if it still crashes
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

try interchanging the ram between the two.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

I found the hardware test CD for this quicksilver and I did the extended test. It gives an error to one of the 512 RAM. Can I fix this with the CD or I should just take it out and buy a new one??
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

I will switch both 512 RAMs with eachother and see if the error remains
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

by switching the RAM's it gives me another error about scripting , and I cannot even start the hardware test again. I took out the 512 RAM that is causing the error and remain the rest where they are. I will do another test and see the result.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If the Hardware Test CD reported an error with one of the RAM modules, then that's where all your problems are coming from. It has nothing to do with the OS. Take that bad module out and get it replaced (call the company you bought it from.)
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Take out the faulty RAM-module and try running the Hardware test CD again...
It should report no error.
QUOTE Thanks
enorblack

I took it out yesterday and since no problems, damn! :-) thanks guys! I should ask another 512 MB from the company
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

the replacement should be free.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't startup from a different disk! | HELP!! iMAC BUILT IN ETHERNET CARD »