Thread: Mac Mini

Mac Mini

Mac Mini
    1.66 2gb ram.

Anyhow, I'm running out of space. Physical space. Not megabytes. So I wanted to stack my tft 19" wide monitor on top of my mini. It would fit. But the apple store guy said the mini get very hot. I've not really noticed that.

Is that so or is it too heavy (too much pressure) any way to be putting on my mini?

ivnj

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    dont have one yet <sob>
    LOL you're really out of rooms eh
    don't tase me bro ! I hate windoz too

Mac Mini

Specs:
    See Sig...
    's possible (though I think fairly unlikely) that it could cause problems. The Mini runs hot (like most Macs, but I digress), and having the whole top surface of the case obscured from cool ambient air isn't going to do it any favors. It may not hurt anything at all... In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it makes little to no difference. But it could, I suppose, if you want to grasp at straws.

It could also be too much pressure to put on it... I haven't looked at the Minis closely enough to know how sturdy the top case is, but I don't think there's much reinforcement there. Which means you're going to be putting a lot of pressure (potentially, depending on how the monitor's foot is shaped) on internal components that you don't want to be putting pressure on... Things like the optical drive and its mounting points, possibly the blower that cools the machine, etc.

In other words... I don't think it's hugely LIKELY to damage anything, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, and I wouldn't consider it an ideal place to put it.
    MCCCXXXVII
    Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
    MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
    G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
    I think you should be fine. I got my mom a mini for her birthday and the mini is pretty sturdy. Good luck.
    "I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.
    Or you could just find a small monitor stand such as the one below.
    http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...FEL91712/07Q3/

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    2 standard masonry bricks will lift it sufficiently. I did that before a bought a bigger desk.
    Dave
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Mac Mini

Specs:
    See Sig...
    Quote Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
    oh bah. That's taking the EASY way out.
    MCCCXXXVII
    Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
    MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
    G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
    Even better!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Mac Mini
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
    oh bah. That's taking the EASY way out.
    I like easy!

Mac Mini

Specs:
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    This one is pretty cool tool (3x the price, but it's got a usb hub).

Thread Information