New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ivnj

ivnj is on a distinguished road

1.66 2gb ram.

Anyhow, I'm running out of space. Physical space. Not megabytes. So I wanted to stack my tft 19" wide monitor on top of my mini. It would fit. But the apple store guy said the mini get very hot. I've not really noticed that.

Is that so or is it too heavy (too much pressure) any way to be putting on my mini?

ivnj
QUOTE Thanks
matelot

matelot is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: dont have one yet <sob>

LOL you're really out of rooms eh

don't tase me bro ! I hate windoz too
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

's possible (though I think fairly unlikely) that it could cause problems. The Mini runs hot (like most Macs, but I digress), and having the whole top surface of the case obscured from cool ambient air isn't going to do it any favors. It may not hurt anything at all... In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it makes little to no difference. But it could, I suppose, if you want to grasp at straws.

It could also be too much pressure to put on it... I haven't looked at the Minis closely enough to know how sturdy the top case is, but I don't think there's much reinforcement there. Which means you're going to be putting a lot of pressure (potentially, depending on how the monitor's foot is shaped) on internal components that you don't want to be putting pressure on... Things like the optical drive and its mounting points, possibly the blower that cools the machine, etc.

In other words... I don't think it's hugely LIKELY to damage anything, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, and I wouldn't consider it an ideal place to put it.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I think you should be fine. I got my mom a mini for her birthday and the mini is pretty sturdy. Good luck.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
If you are even remotely handy, I would recommend building a little stand for the monitor that allows you to put the mini underneath and the monitor on the stand on top. Why risk damaging the Mini?

If you are not handy, you could do the same thing with two stacks of books and one or more large "coffee table" type books across the top. Put the Mini in the space between the two stacks, and place the monitor on top, on the "shelf" created by the "coffee table" books.

Of course, books can be a space consumer, but you get the idea at this point. Anything that you can stack together to create two sides, and something you can lay across them, will do the trick. For example, simple builder's bricks can be used as the sides. Lego blocks could be used for the sides as well (but not the shelf on top). The possibilities are endless.
Or you could just find a small monitor stand such as the one below.
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...FEL91712/07Q3/

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

2 standard masonry bricks will lift it sufficiently. I did that before a bought a bigger desk.
Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
oh bah. That's taking the EASY way out.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Even better!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
oh bah. That's taking the EASY way out.
I like easy!

QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

This one is pretty cool tool (3x the price, but it's got a usb hub).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Major Problem, Please Help, Thanks :D | Converting DVI to ADC »