New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G5 fan noise - is it excessive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newdaddy

newdaddy is on a distinguished road

In the morning when I wake my iMac up, a fan starts up in it (which I totally expect). But the quality of the noise is what concerns me. It's not simply a whooshy or whirry noise, there is a brittle plastic component to it as well, as if just the very tip of a fan blade were rubbing up against something. It's only very mildly annoying, and stops after the first couple minutes of operation.

But my concern is whether this may, in the long run, lead to premature failure of the fan and subsequently shorten the lifespan of a machine I am otherwise truly in love with (there, I said it.)

Can anybody say anything about this? Any similar experiences?

Thanks -
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

First of all, this sounds unfortunate. The iMac sits literally inches from your ears, and so this continual sound would be very annoying. Secondly, it sounds like a problem. You should never hear mechanical rubbing type noises from a properly functioning fan.

I guess the history would be of interest here as well. Is this a new development, or has the iMac always done this? If it is new, definitely have it checked out. You are right in your assumption that a degraded or improperly functioning fan could lead to a premature end of lifespan for your iMac. Cooling is key in computers and I would guess that a fan that is rubbing against its housing isn't operating as efficiently as it should, hence the heat inside the case may be higher than planned.

If I were you, I would have it looked at anyway, just to remove the annoyance factor. I HATE noise from my computers. Quiet computing has become a real passion of mine.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
newdaddy

newdaddy is on a distinguished road

This is a brand new iMac, just out of the box. So far as I know, it has always done this.

I'm reticent to ship the mac away for warranty service however (as it is the only computer in the house, and I am unfortunately in the process of using it for my current job search). Is it a component that could be easily replaced at home?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

As unfortunate as it is, *particularly* if it is new, I would send it back for service.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ld0yle

ld0yle is on a distinguished road

I had tried resetting the SMC (System Management Controller), deleting the Cache folder, eliminating startup items, all to no avail. Then I got a brush for cleaning the keyboard and dusted the bottom grill of my iMac g5 and saw a moderate amount of dust fall out. Within a minute the fan went virtually silent.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G5 processor in a G4 | Quicksilver G4 867 »