New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 won't boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerriji

jerriji is on a distinguished road

My Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 won't boot up. It turns on, there is the chime, and I get the Apple logo but no spinning wheel. After awhile the fan speed increases. Can't even boot to the install disk. I changed out the battery, reset the pram...still no boot.

your suggestions and comments would be most appreciated.

jerry
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Have you added any new ram into the machine. It might be a hardware issue. I think it probably is a hardware issue. And when you try to boot your machine count the seconds before the fans speed up and the thing freezes. Is this time the same every time or different every time.

And I've heard the chime is there to say the machine is ok internally then it'll try to load up the system. SO maybe there is a conflict between the hardware and the system.

I dunno I'm just pulling at straws here. Maybe someone else here will be able to help you more.
QUOTE Thanks
jerriji

The ram is ok. It is not a freeze issue. The fan comes on after about 3 minutes everytime. I just get the apple logo.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, jerriji.

Could you give us a few more details so we can help? Which OS version are you running (example: not OS X Tiger but 10.4.7)?

In the meantime, see if this applies to you.
QUOTE Thanks
jerriji

When I first started it up after being in storage for a year, I was running 10.3.9. I was living with friends at the time who live off the grid. They have solar panels/inverter and a generator. They say they have a pure sine wave inverter but are not sure. When the new harddrive was installed I also had Tiger put in. I live off the grid as well have solar panels/pure sine wave inverter and a EU3000 Honda generator which has an inverter built in. After the tech installed the new harddrive and 10.4. It worked in his shop but did exactly the same thing when I fired it up back at my place. When I took back into the shop, He could only get to boot to the the install disk(10.4) and that was intermitant. Took back home....still no boot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how much my imac worth | Need help finding a replacement video card for a G5. »