New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - upgrade processors in mac pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lisamel

lisamel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors

I am looking for specifications on the motherboard of the mac pro.

If I get the 2.6 dual core x2, I want to know if at some point down the road I can throw in other processors and have it be compatible. I'd like to know what the board can accept.

I know nothing about mac, but I've built many pcs.

I know there is talk of a new version coming out with penryns, but who knows when that will be and it may be way too expensive for me.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The logic board will accept processors of the same socket as the processors that are in there now if I am correct in assuming so. As for the model #, I have no clue. It was built specific for the Mac Pro so you're not going to find it at a store anyways.
The likelihood of being able to toss in your own logic board and processors in the Mac Pro, say in 3 years, will be very slim. Everything is custom built for the Mac Pro. They don't use standards like ATX or micro-ATX.
But I could be totally wrong. This is the first time Apple has used Intel processors in the Mac Pro. Maybe a bunch of 3rd party companies will build upgrades in the future.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

DSCole312 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner

There's a website somewhere (sorry, I forget where) that shows how to replace a pair of 2.66 GHz dual-core processors with a pair of 3.0 GHz quad-cores. So it's possible within the same family of processors, at least.

However, you'd void the warranty on the Mac Pro, and it looks like the new Mac Pros will have completely new processors and logic boards. So you probably won't be able to upgrade to Penryns, but you might be able to update to a pair of Clovertowns if you can find them and if you're willing to live without a warranty.

I judge you when you use bad grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

You can upgrade to any current processor in the xeon line that uses the same socket. See article below.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 memory upgrade | Considering an iMac »