New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Poor CPU performance on new iMac 2Ghz C2D

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Artmuzz

Artmuzz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD

Hi,

I bought the new Core 2 Duo 2GHz 800mhz FSB iMac thinking that i got myself a powerful computer for making music. However when I open the Garageband magic projects (Slow Soul), it plays for 10 seconds then stops and then a window appears telling me that part of the project could not play because there is too many tracks, effects and notes playing and that to optimize GarageBand

Also, when I play 3 instances of Sculpture in Logic Pro 8, the CPU metre almost hits red. People have told me that they have managed to play 20 instances of Sculpture on Logic Pro 7.2 on a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz Mac.

I have tried editing the buffer size but I still get the same problems.

Is the problem a known issue for Logic Pro 8 and GarageBand or is my iMac a slow computer even though it has a fast FSB and CPU.

I have 1GB memory installed on my iMac.

Please advise

Artmuzz
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

More memory.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Install menu meters and post the percentages of the each core with each task you do. Also, post how much used and free RAM it says you're using/ not using.
We can help diagnose your problems if you provide us with some data.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Actually, it's funny he brings this up. I had this problem on my old Macbook.

I had 2GB of RAM, and less than 1GB was in use because that was the first thing I looked out. There is no way that 1GB is not enough memory to run a few tracks in a music creation program, when the same computer can run multiple videos at the same time.

I never checked my processor usage, but the fans never sped up while I was using it.

RAM is not the answer, although I'd LOVE to know what the answer is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Newbie question about RAM | iMac G5 memory upgrade »