New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Considering an iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beaudierman

beaudierman is on a distinguished road

Since the release of Leopard is soon, I've decided to buy a new iMac. Now I'm already going to wait until the new OS is out, but here's my question:

Should I buy right after it comes out, or should I wait until there is a hardware upgrade? I bought my iBook a few years ago, and I got it about 2 weeks before the iBook was abolished and the MacBook took it's place. I don't wanna pay the same amount for something when I can wait a month or two and get a better one.

Any ideas?

Its a trick, get an axe.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Apple just recently upgraded the iMac line. So even if they come out with a new one, it will just be a speed bump.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The new aluminum iMacs just came out a month or two ago. There shouldn't be any upgrades in the near future so no worries there.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
The new aluminum iMacs just came out a month or two ago. There shouldn't be any upgrades in the near future so no worries there.
Lol. I remember when the last G5 iMacs came out. 3-4 months later, the intels came out.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Apple did say they were switching to Intel processors, right?
Plus, there is a difference between what he's asking and what you're saying. Apple switched from a G5 iMac to an Intel iMac which is an entirely different configuration just like an iBook and the Macbook.
Apple just released the AI iMacs. There will only be minor processor speed boosts for the next few upgrades, not major revamps to the product line.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Yeah, I know, but it was somewhat unexpected to happen as soon as it did.

But the real thing is, buy a new computer when you need it. If the next greatest thing is released the next day, your computer isn't just gonna stop working.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, beaudierman.

I totally agree, Stretch.

Go with your need, beaudierman, not what might be or not be. If we could tell the future, we'd all be millionaires : at least I would 'cuz I sure would put my clairvoyant powers towards the lottery.
QUOTE Thanks
Ariel

Ariel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mommy's boy iMac 20"

I agree with the two guys before me.
We bought my IMac two days ago. I'm soooo happy. I don't think there will be any changes, at least that close to the day of their original release.
The guy at the store where I bought it (our neighbourhood authorized dealer + service center) told me there will be no difference, just OS.
the reason I didn't want to wait a week is because i'm a new switcher, and i didn't want dissapointments coming form a new OS that are inevitable (bugs, crashes, etc.). Tiger is proven, and stable. I've just ordered my upgrade for $9.95 though and will eventually install it, probably in 3-6 months time.
there is no way to predict what will happen tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade processors in mac pro? | Connecting 2 External Drives with FireWire 800 »