New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Wireless N on Mac Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

the wireless N enabler thing u DL off apple website for like $2 says it will work on any comp. equipped with a core 2 duo...? my parents new mac mini has a core 2 duo...can i upgrade it to wireless N?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

According to Apple the Mini has Wireless G so I doubt it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

but isnt that what the point of the upgrade thing is?
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

The difference between "N" and "G" is hardware so the upgrade will not work if it doesn't have the hardware to work with.
QUOTE Thanks
Actingrude

Actingrude is on a distinguished road

However few true N routers are not backwards compatible... so it will(excuse me should) work, if thats your question, and as strange as it seems the upgrade from G to N still gave my pc better speeds, even though it still has a B usb card (I use for injection so don't laugh)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actingrude View Post
However few true N routers are not backwards compatible... so it will(excuse me should) work, if thats your question, and as strange as it seems the upgrade from G to N still gave my pc better speeds, even though it still has a B usb card (I use for injection so don't laugh)
That doesn't answer the guy's question at all. In fact, it has nothing to do with the question at hand.

The guy is asking whether the 802.11n enabler will work on his Mac Mini. Since his Mac Mini does not have a 802.11n card, the answer is simple, no it won't work. You can't enable 802.11n functionality on a wireless card that physically does not have that function. It doesn't matter how his Mini will function on an 802.11n router, that's not what he's asking for.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That doesn't answer the guy's question at all. In fact, it has nothing to do with the question at hand.

The guy is asking whether the 802.11n enabler will work on his Mac Mini. Since his Mac Mini does not have a 802.11n card, the answer is simple, no it won't work. You can't enable 802.11n functionality on a wireless card that physically does not have that function. It doesn't matter how his Mini will function on an 802.11n router, that's not what he's asking for.
yeah thanks, just was i was wondering.

i just figured since like every other comp has N now....i think? it might have it "dormant" or something but i guess not...its not like i need it anyway, the thing had freakishly fast internet connection compared to other comps in the house...im not sure why....its very strange....
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Well, just so you know, even if you could enable N on your Mini, you wouldn't actually experience faster Internet speeds since there are very few, if any, ISPs that offer speeds greater than 54Mbps (that's the speed of a G connection).

There are only two real benefits to 802.11n: network speed and range. If you have several N machines on your network, the transfer speeds between them will noticeably improve with an 802.11n router. The increased range isn't just for N products, but for B/G products as well. So if your Mini was far away from the router, getting an 802.11n router could help if you were getting slow speeds and/or a poor connection. But since that doesn't seem to be a problem for you, you wouldn't really see any benefit with 802.11n, at least not for the Mini (not sure if you have any other Macs).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Chefboiali

Chefboiali is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the thread revival on my first noob post.

I have a Core Duo 2ghz mac mini, and I bought the Dell 1500 wireless n card to go n. When I install the Dell card, Leopard tells me the card is a Third party vendor, and won't allow me to install the n enabler from Apple. If I use Pacifist, will that allow me the mini to install the enabler and therefore allow the card to work? Guys have done this,but I have yet to get mine to work. Maybe I should have done this under Tiger, then gone to Leopard.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the card: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Draft-N-150...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the write-up:
http://forum.hardmac.com/index.php?showtopic=1363

Here's one with a MacBook card:

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/71/page1/
QUOTE Thanks
Fronobulax

Fronobulax is on a distinguished road

I used a gigabyte card and 5ghz antennas with great success and a pretty low price...

I did a writeup on my mini upgrade and product selection process.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« strange imac problem | Imac G5 17inch blank display »