New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro G5 freezes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NeoGreen

NeoGreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.

Hello everyone,
I have a Mac Pro G5 that when booting up freezes. This isn't the only symptom, I have it programmed to starup at 7:00 am every morning, and when i get to my office all I hear is the fans blowing like crazy, but no video and no response to the mouse or keyboard. I have taken it to a Mac Genius at my local Apple/Mac store and they told me it was the memory. I replaced the memory and it ran okay for about 3 days then again. The same issues. I am thinking it may be either the logical board or the processor, but I am not sure. Anyone seen this before? Any advice will be helpful. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well first, we need to determine if it is a G5 OR a Mac Pro! A Mac Pro is Intel-based while the G5 is a Power PC-based Mac. These are really not the same and some of the troubleshooting tips differ a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

Sorry about the late reply, it is a G5. And I finally figured it out. I had to have the local Apple store run a hardware diagnostic and they found out it was the processor. I had it replaced and currently it is running like new. Thanks for clarifying the difference between Mac Pro and G5, no wonder the guys at the Mac store looked at me funny when trying to explain to them my situation. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NeoGreen

Oh yeah and I also recommend everyone try to purchase the Apple Care Plan, man cause if I wouldn't have gotten that when I purchased the Mac G5 I would have had to have paid $675.00 big ones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a new iMac | HELP!! G4 Nvidia trouble »