New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - new 20'' iMac... thinking of upgrading the graphics card...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjcavins

jjcavins is on a distinguished road

I use the flight sim x-plane a lot on the imac and I would like to have smoother frame rates. What other faster graphics cards would be able to replace the radeon hd2600 that is in the faster 20'' iMac?

I have heard nvidia makes the best... is that true?

Thanks

JJ
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You can't replace the video card on an iMac, it's essentially hard wired to the logic board.

The parts inside of an iMac are essentially laptop parts, which is why only the RAM is user accessible. If you tried to swap out the hard drive, you would void your warranty. I don't think replacing the CPU is even an option as that too is probably soldered to the board.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jjcavins

jjcavins is on a distinguished road

well crap.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Mac_Biodiesel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
You can't replace the video card on an iMac, it's essentially hard wired to the logic board.
Say what? According the Mac Genius at my local Apple Store, the graphics cards are no longer soldered to the motherboard, so they can be removed. However, she said they can only be replaced with one of the 2 cards that Apple currently offers with the iMac. So, if your graphics card is faulty, it can be swapped out for another one of the same type.

I don't understand why this is, though. Does the software not support other cards? If it can be removed, what's to stop you from simply putting another type of graphics card in there? Is the slot physically customized to only accept those 2 cards?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Its the firmware of the card that is the issue. Cards for Macs have different firmware than cards for Windows.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You're right, after looking at a disassembled aluminum iMac, it would seem as though the video card is not soldered to the logic board. However, it definitely isn't a standard video card that you can just swap out, especially since getting to it would clearly nullify your warranty.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Its the firmware of the card that is the issue. Cards for Macs have different firmware than cards for Windows.
If that's the case, then any card that works in a Mac Pro should work in an iMac, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash
You're right, after looking at a disassembled aluminum iMac, it would seem as though the video card is not soldered to the logic board. However, it definitely isn't a standard video card that you can just swap out, especially since getting to it would clearly nullify your warranty.
3 years from now the warranty will have expired anyway, and that's a likely timeframe for someone to want to upgrade their GPU. I looked through Kas's dissection photos, but couldn't identify the graphics card. So you think it's not the same type of card that could go into a Mac Pro, then?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Look at the size of the Mac Pro's vid cards, and then take another look at the iMacs. I highly doubt any of those cards will fit in there.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Biodiesel View Post
If that's the case, then any card that works in a Mac Pro should work in an iMac, correct?

3 years from now the warranty will have expired anyway, and that's a likely timeframe for someone to want to upgrade their GPU. I looked through Kas's dissection photos, but couldn't identify the graphics card. So you think it's not the same type of card that could go into a Mac Pro, then?
Nope, that won't work. I havent looked at the AI photos but there is no way the iMac could support a full size vid card. The 7300GT wouldnt be worth upgrading and the ATI cards are a lot thicker.
Plus, the iMac has a mini DVI out. The Mac Pro cards have dual DVI out connections. If a Mac Pro card was to actually fit, the case would would have to be modded.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

I haven't looked at it, but it's probably in a MXM or a mini PCI Express slot. Graphics cards with those connectors are flat out unavailable on the retail market and if you pick one up on ebay or whatever, it will still need to be flashed with a Mac BIOS. Something that is no easy task, particularly when the card has to connect to the monitor using a LVDS connector, meaning the bios has to retain all of the monitor information to be able to use the integrated LCD.

In short: You're not going to upgrade it with anything other than a card out of another iMac unless you are very, very good at reverse engineering video BIOS files.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
In short: You're not going to upgrade it with anything other than a card out of another iMac unless you are very, very good at reverse engineering video BIOS files.
Ah, I see what you're getting at. That does sound fairly insurmountable.

Hmmm. Each new iMac revision generally gets a new graphics card model, right? If those cards are also sold separately, perhaps that's what one could upgrade to in later years. Take the card for a 2009 iMac and put it in my 2007 iMac....
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Unlikely. Same problem: The video BIOS is different. For a normal computer (the PowerMacs/Mac Pro or just about any PC), that wouldn't matter. But the video card in the iMac is likely connected to the monitor by a LVDS connector, as I mentioned. Which means that all of the data about the monitor-supported input resolutions, etc.-is stored in the video BIOS. If the panel in the next generation iMac is different, it still won't work.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
In three years, stick your iMac on ebay and you'll get a big chunk towards a new one since Macs hold their value so well. No need to upgrade - just sell and buy new.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
In three years, stick your iMac on ebay and you'll get a big chunk towards a new one since Macs hold their value so well. No need to upgrade - just sell and buy new.
True that.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

True for now, but maybe not in 3 years. Who knows how much Apple's market share will have grown by then....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Wireless Desktop with strong signal | Frustrated with Mac Pro with RAID card »