New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G5 Monitor won't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

staabie66

staabie66 is on a distinguished road

So I come home this morning and my monitor is black. I left it on last night and it was working as of 4pm yesterday. I turned the computer off and then on, the lights came on the monitor to say it was powered on, but the screen is completely black. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Do you have a second monitor to try? I am wondering if it is either a monitor issue or graphics card issue.
What monitor is this? Apple brand? Is it aluminum? Is the frame clear and white plastic?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
staabie66

No I do not have another monitor to try this out on. It is the apple brand with a clear and white plastic frame.

I've unplugged and restarted it several times now. The monitor still lights up, not the screen, the two icons on the frame do. It also still makes noises. What could be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Those use the ADC connector so the LCD draws power from the same connection as the video output.
I would just open your computer and make sure everything is connected properly. If it looks dusty, try and clean in there with some canned air. I know that sounds dumb but it fixed someone's G5 recently.
If everything is clean, do a PRAM reset. Command, option, r, p at startup until there is a second chime.
That's all I can think of now. Hopefully someone else chime in.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
staabie66

I opened it up and yeah it was pretty dusty inside. Used canned air to rid of it, but still nothing. I tried reseting the PRAM, don't know if I did it right cause it still isn't working. Talked to a friend of mine who has the same computer/monitor and am going to take my tower over to his place and see if his monitor will power up on my machine. Hopefully I can do that within a day or two. If anyone else can think of anything please let me know. Thanks for the help so far bryphotoguy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's a good/compatible Internal Hard Drive. | New iMac Keyboard »