G5 Monitor won't turn on
    So I come home this morning and my monitor is black. I left it on last night and it was working as of 4pm yesterday. I turned the computer off and then on, the lights came on the monitor to say it was powered on, but the screen is completely black. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Do you have a second monitor to try? I am wondering if it is either a monitor issue or graphics card issue.
    What monitor is this? Apple brand? Is it aluminum? Is the frame clear and white plastic?

January 2008 Member of the Month

No I do not have another monitor to try this out on. It is the apple brand with a clear and white plastic frame.

I've unplugged and restarted it several times now. The monitor still lights up, not the screen, the two icons on the frame do. It also still makes noises. What could be the problem?

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Those use the ADC connector so the LCD draws power from the same connection as the video output.
    I would just open your computer and make sure everything is connected properly. If it looks dusty, try and clean in there with some canned air. I know that sounds dumb but it fixed someone's G5 recently.
    If everything is clean, do a PRAM reset. Command, option, r, p at startup until there is a second chime.
    That's all I can think of now. Hopefully someone else chime in.

January 2008 Member of the Month

I opened it up and yeah it was pretty dusty inside. Used canned air to rid of it, but still nothing. I tried reseting the PRAM, don't know if I did it right cause it still isn't working. Talked to a friend of mine who has the same computer/monitor and am going to take my tower over to his place and see if his monitor will power up on my machine. Hopefully I can do that within a day or two. If anyone else can think of anything please let me know. Thanks for the help so far bryphotoguy.

Thread Information