New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 Beige Wrong Date Battery replaced.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ptrixx

I have a G3 Beige (OS 9.2.2) that I just replaced the battery, and still every time I startup it says that my time and date is wrong, it comes up as Aug 27, 1956. If I have just put a new battery in, what else could cause this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Did you try leaving the computer on for a day or two to make sure the battery is completely charged?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
ptrixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Did you try leaving the computer on for a day or two to make sure the battery is completely charged?
I was unaware that it wasn't charged when I bought it. I will leave it on for a couple days and see if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrixx
I was unaware that it wasn't charged when I bought it. I will leave it on for a couple days and see if that helps.
I'm not really sure if they come charged or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to leave it on to see if that helps.

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You may have a bad battery.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The PRAM battery is a non-rechargeable battery. It is full when you buy it and you replace it when it's empty...

I guess you got a bad battery, try a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The PRAM battery is a non-rechargeable battery. It is full when you buy it and you replace it when it's empty...
You're right. I'm not sure why I assumed it was rechargeable. I guess I just figured that the battery would last longer if it had a built-in "trickle" charger to keep it topped off.

QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
I have a G3 Beige (OS 9.2.2) that I just replaced the battery, and still every time I startup it says that my time and date is wrong, it comes up as Aug 27, 1956. If I have just put a new battery in, what else could cause this problem.

Is it possible that you put the old battery back in by accident? I've done that. Also, try zapping the PRAM or resetting the PMU. The PRAM should have been reset when you removed the battery but if it wasn't it may be corrupted.
As noted above, the new battery may not be good. If it has been sitting on a store rack for a long time it may be already be below specs.
Badger
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

just have the battery checked out by the store where you bought it.

is the battery expensive like the one for emac.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
ptrixx

As crazy as it sounds i left it on for a couple days and now it hold the time. Wierd!

Thanx for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds i left it on for a couple days and now it hold the time. Wierd!

Thanx for your help.
The same thing happened with my Beige G3, which is weird since I now know they aren't rechargeable batteries. :confused:

QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:

Sound like your be going through the Y2K again... but without a hitch! It's a Mac...

Doh!... Your supposed to reset your PRAM, when you insert a new Battery otherwise your machine won't know if anything has changed... You might want to check the box that says "Set Time & Date automatically"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_05.jpg (30.1 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!! iMAC BUILT IN ETHERNET CARD | Can't Startup from a different disk »