Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   G3 Beige Wrong Date Battery replaced. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/8044-g3-beige-wrong-date-battery-replaced.html)

ptrixx 07-29-2004 06:29 PM

G3 Beige Wrong Date Battery replaced.

I have a G3 Beige (OS 9.2.2) that I just replaced the battery, and still every time I startup it says that my time and date is wrong, it comes up as Aug 27, 1956. If I have just put a new battery in, what else could cause this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Padawan 07-29-2004 07:31 PM

Did you try leaving the computer on for a day or two to make sure the battery is completely charged?

ptrixx 07-29-2004 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padawan
Did you try leaving the computer on for a day or two to make sure the battery is completely charged?

I was unaware that it wasn't charged when I bought it. I will leave it on for a couple days and see if that helps.

Padawan 07-29-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptrixx
I was unaware that it wasn't charged when I bought it. I will leave it on for a couple days and see if that helps.

I'm not really sure if they come charged or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to leave it on to see if that helps. :)

rman 07-29-2004 10:14 PM

You may have a bad battery.

Avalon 07-30-2004 07:05 AM

The PRAM battery is a non-rechargeable battery. It is full when you buy it and you replace it when it's empty...

I guess you got a bad battery, try a new one.

Padawan 07-30-2004 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
The PRAM battery is a non-rechargeable battery. It is full when you buy it and you replace it when it's empty...

You're right. I'm not sure why I assumed it was rechargeable. I guess I just figured that the battery would last longer if it had a built-in "trickle" charger to keep it topped off.

Badger 07-30-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

I have a G3 Beige (OS 9.2.2) that I just replaced the battery, and still every time I startup it says that my time and date is wrong, it comes up as Aug 27, 1956. If I have just put a new battery in, what else could cause this problem.

Is it possible that you put the old battery back in by accident? I've done that. Also, try zapping the PRAM or resetting the PMU. The PRAM should have been reset when you removed the battery but if it wasn't it may be corrupted.
As noted above, the new battery may not be good. If it has been sitting on a store rack for a long time it may be already be below specs.
Badger

the_New_guy 07-31-2004 04:23 AM

just have the battery checked out by the store where you bought it.

is the battery expensive like the one for emac.

ptrixx 08-06-2004 06:03 PM

As crazy as it sounds i left it on for a couple days and now it hold the time. Wierd!

Thanx for your help.

Padawan 08-06-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

As crazy as it sounds i left it on for a couple days and now it hold the time. Wierd!

Thanx for your help.

:D The same thing happened with my Beige G3, which is weird since I now know they aren't rechargeable batteries. :confused:

hype.it 08-07-2004 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Sound like your be going through the Y2K again... but without a hitch! It's a Mac... :D

Doh!... Your supposed to reset your PRAM, when you insert a new Battery otherwise your machine won't know if anything has changed... You might want to check the box that says "Set Time & Date automatically"

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/att...ntid=523&stc=1