New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - memory for mac mini and macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdevleerjr

jdevleerjr is on a distinguished road

I have a first gen macbook that I have maxed out the mem to 2 gigs. I also have a intel mac mini that I only have the standard 512mb. I use them both and the mac mini just needs more mem but cash is tight. how much performance would I loose if I took out a gig of ram in my mac book and put it into my mini. I could take out one of the sticks of ram int he mini and have 1.25 gigs of ram in both. Or should I stick to having matched pairs in both computers and suck it up and buy more ram for the mini?
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Just spent the $60 and get 2GB in both. If you really can't do that, then 1.25GB in both will be fine given that you will be using the Mini a lot. You will lose significantly noticable performance on the MB, especially when looking at loading simple things up, speed etc, but its much better than 512MB.

But if I were you, I'd max the memory out. Its the first thing I do with a mac that I get in. All my Macs have at least 2GB. (bar the really old incapable models )

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
jdevleerjr

jdevleerjr is on a distinguished road

Ok where do I find memory for 60 bucks?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac + Xbox 360? | Optical Digital Audio problem »