New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - will this g4 be faster than my g3..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

i found this g4 quicksilver, 800mhz..will it be quite a bit faster than my g3 with 450mhz....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yes, it will.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

But this one is cheaper, and meets the minimum to run Leopard... if you add a bit more RAM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
ronss

i quess i got burnt, i thought 800mhz might be enough for leapord,,,...quess i will turn around and sell it...
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Why not wait and see how it runs before you sell it? Potentially, you're going to lose a lot more money shifting systems around than you are if you just wait and try it.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

geeky 1...

what can i do to upgrade the g4 i bought, can i upgrade cpu, video card???i quess maybe a 9800 pro would be nice, or can i get a 6600gt..how about the cpu??? one other thing, when i do a fresh install of apple...can i run fdisk to partiton the drive and then format and do the system install just like on a ibm pc.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Yes, you can upgrade the CPU. Yes, you can upgrade the video card. You can format and partition the drive, yes, but not using fdisk. There is a utility built into the OSX installer to do it.

MCCCXXXVII
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://eshop.macsales.com/

That is a pretty good place to get upgrades for your G4. They have everything there you would need.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

cool upgrade site, they make it easy.. how hard is it to change the cpu in a qs?

if i got a 1.2 ghz and 9800 pro...seems like it should run farily quick., and upgrade to lepoard

show me a link to a good cpu for my quicksilver 800..don,t want to buy the wrong one?

but then again, i could buy a dual cpu qs on ebay for all the money i spend on parts?
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

geeky 1-
willl your g4 with dual 533 be able to run lepoard?? i
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

As far as I know nobody knows what the minimum requirements for leopard are. If it runs, it'll run badly. Why? 'Cause it runs 10.4 badly too. And I'm sure it'd run 10.3 badly if I put it on as well... It just doesn't have a lot of power.

You'd be much better off spending $200 for a dual 1GHz QS card off eBay than you would be getting any 3rd party CPU upgrade that can be had for about that.

MCCCXXXVII
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

I've got a Digital Audio G4 (500MHz) and upgraded the card on that to a dual 1GHz. 2GB of ram and my PowerBook G4 still toasts it.
BUT - It is one sweet machine for what I do with it - web stuff, music etc.

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaccoll View Post
I've got a Digital Audio G4 (500MHz) and upgraded the card on that to a dual 1GHz. 2GB of ram and my PowerBook G4 still toasts it.
BUT - It is one sweet machine for what I do with it - web stuff, music etc.

Alex
Alex, Just curious, what speed is the G4 in your Powerbook G4?

I put a 1.8Ghz Giga Designs G4 in my 667Mhz Digital Audio. Overall in use and Benchmarks like Cinebench 10, it's faster than my 1.33Ghz iBook G4 and doing videos in Handbrake and pretty much everything else. My iMac G5 is quite a bit faster though in all of the above then the modded DA. My DA has a 9800 Pro 128Meg Video card, and 1.5GB RAM.

That is why I am curious as to the CPU in your Powerbook G4.
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

thrinfo is on a distinguished road

I've just bought a G4 400 MHZ with 1.5Mhz or ram with OS 10.3.9 and it's quite slow, not even able to view only a small video clip already on my drive, what can I do to help to be faster.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First Problem with New 24" | Another Newbie question about RAM »