New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - attention new imac - problems with video card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aj84

aj84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod

I have a brand new imac. The video card is not working properly. Apple does not have an official issue or resolution date for fix. I was told that I could not return the computer without paying restocking fee. They will not fix it now!! Because they don’t know how long it will take for the fix to happen (something to do with drivers) I asked salesman are you letting new customers know about it? his reply was "nope, apple does not have anything official for the problem or the solution" so he gave me the following link. The good news is that they are aware of it. So basically after calling them 3 times and then sending me to the store to have one of their genius ( I think they are when It comes to marketing strategy. Sell something that is not working properly.) Oh by the way it gets only worse when you used something like final cut express of aperture, so you should be ok as long as your graphics card is not push to the limit. Unfortunately for me, I bought it for that reason. Good luck to you if you are having the same problems

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/imac/ati-...ues-307409.php
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

That sucks. I don't know what to say. I haven't had one problem with my new Mac. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

My 20" has been working flawlessly, whether pushed or not.
I think some of the 24" Macs have been affected, and just a few of the 20 inchers.

There will be a fix for it by the end of the month - Apple have released a statement on their website.
QUOTE Thanks
aj84

Thanks. Glad to hear that you guys are not having problems, my previous model Imac 20 is working fine, anything with a ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory, is having issues. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough

Except mine :-)

No problems at all with my 20" HD 2600.
QUOTE Thanks
dbennett642

dbennett642 is on a distinguished road

is there a way to test to see if your graphics card is working properly or not?
QUOTE Thanks
aj84

They dont know what it is, they are telling me is the drivers conbination hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Quote:
is there a way to test to see if your graphics card is working properly or not?
Just by using it. If there's a problem, you'll experience odd blocks of colour and system freezes.
QUOTE Thanks
WOTTO

WOTTO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" Intel 2.4 ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj84 View Post
Thanks. Glad to hear that you guys are not having problems, my previous model Imac 20 is working fine, anything with a ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory, is having issues. Thanks
No problems here. 24" with HD2600 Pro
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

No problems here either 20" iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTTO View Post
No problems here. 24" with HD2600 Pro
QUOTE Thanks
illy5603

illy5603 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac

Good luck getting it fixed with sofware / firmware. My problems seemed a lot like hardware. I am on my 3rd new iMac with the same software and firmware as the other two and this one is working fine. This leads me to believe the problem is hardware. I am sure Apple will stand behind the systems and get it fixed though.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

I mostly see the problem when I try to play warcraft. never more then 10 min before I freeze. I had read this was a driver issue. Do you guys actually think I should exchange my IMAC? 24" extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
dfordean

dfordean is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard

I have the latest imac here in oz and no problems encountered so far. Thats exactly why I left the PC environment to get away from freezes and blue screens! Hope Mac sorts it out soon! Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

For those of you who are having problems. How much ram and what processor do you have.
QUOTE Thanks
aj84

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 2600

the problem is running any software, and even during desktop operations (so before i do anything ) I would get weird looking graphs and then freezen

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/imac/ati-...ues-307409.php
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« interesting thing happend today... | G5 2.0GHZ Dual - Slouchy performance »