New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - 24" white imac advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ferritt

ferritt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour

Hi,

What I want to know is are these 24" machines any good. I'm looking to buy the old (well couple of months) white imac. I can only find one's with 128mb video cards in. Are these any good. I would buy the latest 24" imac but I'm not a fan of the new glossy screen mainly because of where the imac will be it would be impossible for me to use (glare etc...). I would like to do some gaming but have issues about the 128 card it comes with.

any advice welcome

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

As far as I know that imac came with the option of one of the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128 MB memory
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB memory

Since you talk about it only having 128 MB memory I assume you are are referring to the first graphics card here. And that card is reputed to be better than the ATI graphic cards Apple are using now. I have no idea why that brand was pulled. But from my experience the NVIDIA gives decent frame rates of most applications/games out there. But supposedly there is not a lot of support for it out there.

I think if you can get that machine for a good price I say take it. As those white imacs are getting quite popular now due to their matte screen. And the 128 MB should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ferritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
As far as I know that imac came with the option of one of the following:

Since you talk about it only having 128 MB memory I assume you are are referring to the first graphics card here. And that card is reputed to be better than the ATI graphic cards Apple are using now. I have no idea why that brand was pulled. But from my experience the NVIDIA gives decent frame rates of most applications/games out there. But supposedly there is not a lot of support for it out there.

I think if you can get that machine for a good price I say take it. As those white imacs are getting quite popular now due to their matte screen. And the 128 MB should be fine.
Nice one cheers for that info. Gonna go now and get one. Also I bought iLife 08 for my MBP. It's only a 1 machine licence so if I uninstall it and reinstall on the new imac can I use it?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Don't expect to play killer games on that. Cause with a 24 inch iMac, the 7300 has to output a 1920*1200 resolution which even my 7900GT lags in many games. It's good enough for most tasks though...
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Btw, my cat is known as 'the ferret'....
QUOTE Thanks
ferritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Don't expect to play killer games on that. Cause with a 24 inch iMac, the 7300 has to output a 1920*1200 resolution which even my 7900GT lags in many games. It's good enough for most tasks though...
Thats right. I'm not expecting to play the latest games at full res but game like call of duty etc I want to start playing again. Anywayz just got back from the store and ordered one. Should be at the store in afew days.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bob@pflueger.co

bob@pflueger.co will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24inch iMac

No, they're not "any good" [eye roll]
QUOTE Thanks
ferritt

what do you mean there not any good? Please explain?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:

Eh? The HD2600 is a lot faster than the 7300GT and the HD2600 is on a par with the 7600GT.

Have a look at http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=716&chart=287
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Update? | Finally ordered mini! »