New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Noob breaking his computer...HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup

I bought my mac pro about 4 months ago and I love it. I love it so much that I'm about to start studying for my desktop certification....Anyways, I was taking my mac apart one day and when I wend to slide the video card out of PCI slot one, that crummy, cheap little plastic lever, for lack of a better word, broke off...I was almost in tears, this computer is my baby....

So, do I need a new logic board? Everything is working tip top, although I think I'm overdoing it a bit with the add ons...I'm going to be getting a second video card sood and I don't know if that's going to be a problem. Where do you get OEM mac hardware? Someone tell me its okay!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Oops...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
unixadm

unixadm is on a distinguished road

Mine also broke off. You have nothing to worry about. If it's working fine, why would you need a new logic board? The retention clip is more for shipping or extremely flimsy computers that flex and bend. That is not a concern in the Mac Pro, and even with shipping I doubt there would be a prolem. The retention clip is pretty cheap, and there are MUCH better PCI-E x16 slots that utilize a better retention mechanism.
QUOTE Thanks
Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup

Nice man, thanks for the reassurance because I most definitely cannot afford to replace the board!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD slow down computer? | Newbie questions »