New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - fan noise on waking Mac Pro from sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_harambee

nick_harambee is on a distinguished road

Hi

I bought a Mac Pro about a month ago and for the first couple of weeks i had normal fan operation, infact very quiet, but for the last couple of weeks every time i have tried to wake the Mac Pro from sleep I get a very loud fan noise which lasts about a minute (i am reminded of jet aeroplanes when i hear it!). Fan noise is generally also louder, and i am not sure if this is connected with adding more components - RAM and internal hard drives (all Apple Approved). Perhaps the added components can account for the overall louder level of fan noise, but i don't know about the excessive noise on waking from sleep. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here?

thanks

nick
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've read on the forums here that Mac Pros, when waking from sleep, make the fans run real fast. I can't remember how long but more than a few seconds sounds excessive.
My Mac Pro doesn't make any noise, even when returning from sleep. Adding RAM or HDs won't really add much noise.
Really the only thing I can suggest is doing a PRAM reset. Hold P,R,Control, Option before the first screen boots. Hold them till the computer chimes again. Hopefully someone else can help you with better suggestions.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup

My computer just downloaded a firmware update for the fans. I wasn't having a problem with mine though and I'm running 4 gigs of ram, two internal, raided hd's, an external esata backup drive, two super drives etc.....But I think that the update I'm speaking of might help..
QUOTE Thanks
nick_harambee

i have downloaded the latest firmware and still the same issue
QUOTE Thanks
Dr.Gonzo

Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup

Could be a problem with the fans connection with the processor. Best advice is to take it and have someone run some diagnostics on it. I'm not sure if you're not just freakin yourself out about that huge chunk of change you just spent on a computer though. Every now and then my fans will upwards of 700rpm upon waking up or if I'm doing something that really really taxes the hardware. I'm running tons of stuff bro and the mac pro is a beast so sometimes it might just be a little noisy...Is it causing any problems with your system? Are the temperatures and everything normal?
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Redifer

Joe Redifer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc

It's the firmware update. Apple has a habit of breaking things when they update whether it's firmware, Quicktime, iTunes, or the entire OS! They just aren't as competent as they used to be. I am always deathly afraid to run any new updates lately, and I wait for many "guinea pigs" to do it before me.

This new firmware update is getting a lot of reports of making the Mac Pro more sluggish all around. I think Apple only uses intern programmers anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
Dr.Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
It's the firmware update. Apple has a habit of breaking things when they update whether it's firmware, Quicktime, iTunes, or the entire OS! They just aren't as competent as they used to be. I am always deathly afraid to run any new updates lately, and I wait for many "guinea pigs" to do it before me.

This new firmware update is getting a lot of reports of making the Mac Pro more sluggish all around. I think Apple only uses intern programmers anymore.
Interns, lol
QUOTE Thanks
nick_harambee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I've read on the forums here that Mac Pros, when waking from sleep, make the fans run real fast. I can't remember how long but more than a few seconds sounds excessive.
i did a PRAM reset and still the same issue. I think it is normal for the fan to run fast for a few seconds, but not for it to start slowly then get louder and louder until it is very loud and then gradually slow down, over say 45 seconds - 1 minute, which is what is happening every time i start up from sleep
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Redifer

Joe Redifer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc

My fans are fine when I wake from sleep, but then again I don't have the latest firmware. But from what I've read, it is normal for people with newer firmware to experience crazy fan behavior for the first minute upon waking. Many people no longer put their Mac Pros to sleep because of this firmware bug.
QUOTE Thanks
smithereens

smithereens is on a distinguished road

This worked for me:

Resetting the SMC can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, and so forth. If your computer still exhibits these types of issues after you've restarted the computer, try resetting the SMC.

To reset the SMC on a Mac Pro:

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
3. Wait at least fifteen seconds.
4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
5. Press the power button to start up your computer.

Another way to reset the SMC on a Mac Pro computer is:

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
2. Open and remove the metallic outer door.
3. Press the SMC_RST switch that is located slightly below and to the right of the row of diagnostic LEDs. Use a non-metallic, non-conductive object, such as a wooden pencil. Note: Mac Pro (Early 2008) does not have an SMC_RST switch, refer to the reset procedure steps in the previous section.
4. Replace the metallic outer door.
5. Press the power button to start up your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
satrop

My Pro also does this. The fans "rev" up to 1900rpm for about 10-15 seconds after a wake for sleep. And it has been doing this for about six months. Now I've had ALL the cable out the back of the beast and it still does the Rev up on wake from sleep, so that didn't work for me. And because I got my Pro in the middle of 2007, the SMC_RST is not, so I just don't put my pro to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
scottyp2

scottyp2 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem the solution was to take it to Crywolf to re-secure a fan to processor wire. If your exhaust fan is going crazy for no reason this fix is probably the solution. Unfortunately this is probably something you can't do at home.
QUOTE Thanks
nsciacca

nsciacca is on a distinguished road

We had a similar problem for over a year - tried a ton of stuff, turned out that the Video Card had a build up of dust over the heat sink that we didn't see when we cleaned it out on the first try. Depending on your video card this could be the issue - we have the NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT KIT, although similar problems have been reported on the X1900.

The cleaning of the video card fixed the following:
- Loud fan noise running almost constantly
- Computer failing to restart
- Start up not always working, taking multiple tries

See Apple Support Forum
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

See pics of video card
http://tinyurl.com/yjue8k9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using my Mac Mini, Apple TV and Time Capsule. How to use them best together... | Syncing Android phones »