New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Fastest Hard Drives ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

HI,

Does anyone know:- ?

If I specify a larger hard drive on the new aluminium 24" Imac 2.8 Extreme I intend to buy,.... will it be faster? The drive that is.

In other words,.... will programs and data load more quickly or will I simply have more storage. I really only need 500mb but if the 1 terabyte drive is significantly faster I would be willing to pay the extra. Thanks, SID
QUOTE Thanks
jALVA21

jALVA21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz iMAC w/ 4GB Ram - 17" 1.67ghz PBook G4 w/ 2GB Ram

According to the apple website, they all use 3.5" Serial ATA hard drives that run at 7200 revolutions per minute. So the only difference would be the size.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jALVA21 View Post
According to the apple website, they all use 3.5" Serial ATA hard drives that run at 7200 revolutions per minute. So the only difference would be the size.
Not necessarily true. It comes down to what drives Apple is using. If the 500GB is the same series as the 1TB drive and they have the same cache, you will not see any difference.

However, if the 1TB drive is using say, 2 500GB platters and the 500 uses 2 250s, the 1TB drive will in fact be measurably faster. It will also be faster in certain cases if it has a larger cache.

Whether it will be NOTICEABLY faster or not, I don't know. If the only difference is cache, I think it's unlikely that it would be. If it has twice the areal density, it will make a noticeable difference, yes.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
jALVA21

jALVA21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz iMAC w/ 4GB Ram - 17" 1.67ghz PBook G4 w/ 2GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
Not necessarily true. It comes down to what drives Apple is using. If the 500GB is the same series as the 1TB drive and they have the same cache, you will not see any difference.

However, if the 1TB drive is using say, 2 500GB platters and the 500 uses 2 250s, the 1TB drive will in fact be measurably faster. It will also be faster in certain cases if it has a larger cache.

Whether it will be NOTICEABLY faster or not, I don't know. If the only difference is cache, I think it's unlikely that it would be. If it has twice the areal density, it will make a noticeable difference, yes.
correct, but in regards to an iMac, I figured it only had room for a single hard drive, hence my comment. But I could be wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There's really no way to answer your question for a fact, since no one knows what drive is going to be in your individual machine.

In general larger drives are faster, but this is not always the case. And whether you would notice it or not really depends on how "geeky" you are and have been, in relation to building your own systems and comparing and testing multiple components.

However, the current generation 1TB drives are typically faster than their 500GB counterparts in most of the testing I've seen.
This is really about the best anyone can say without knowing the particular two drives in question (manufacturer and model).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To be honest, it doesn't really matter whether the 1TB drive or the 500GB drive is faster, because it's not going to be noticeably faster. Unless one drive has a 16MB cache and the other has 2MB, you won't really be able to tell them apart except in benchmarks.

It's when you get into the 10,000 RPM and 15,000 RPM drives that you begin to notice a speed boost. Since both drives are 7200 RPM, just get the most amount of space you can afford.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I would suggest that the amount of cache on the drive is likely to be the determining factor, and you cannot know that without knowing the specific model in use. I don't think that Apple releases this info, so that they can change it on the fly as they see fit. So, I can only recommend to get the drive size you want!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Aren't large drives less prone to fragmentation?

And if a large drive has the data more densly populated blocks on the disc, can't you fit more files into the Hot Zone, thereby it would be faster?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
And if a large drive has the data more densly populated blocks on the disc, can't you fit more files into the Hot Zone, thereby it would be faster?
That is technically why drivers with greater aerial density (i.e. larger drives) are faster, but the issue is how much faster. In most cases, it will only be noticeable in benchmarks and not in real life.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

Hi Everyone,

It seems that like me no one really knows the answer and it does depend on my "geekiness".

As a confirmed switcher who has built PC's using the fastest hard drives I could find,.. Western Digital Caviar usually,.. I DID notice they were faster.
I have checked and there are not many drives at 1tb and the best bet is that Apple will use the Hitachi Deskstar with 32mb of cache. This exceeds all smaller drives cache so I think it will be faster.... but by how much?........ probably not hugely so.

I think I'll save my money and spend it on an Ipod Touch!

Unless anyone really knows a definitive answer... I will order the Imac with the cheaper drive.

Thanks to the Mac-Forums community!

Sid
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Apple seems to think the Hot Zone is pretty important. And I know after use drives do slow down, as files are moved and fragmented. So I think it would be noticeable. Purely speculation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mirrored Door G4 Tower | Help! My iMac doesn't read discs and I can't eject them! »