Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: HD or Bluray?

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2007
    Posts
    5
    HD or Bluray?
    I just got the new iMac G5 with the black trim or whatever and I wanted to know if its dvd player is also HD or Bluray? Someone told me that it was suppose to have one but I do not know. If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    It is just DVD, no HD-DVD or blu-ray
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  3. #3

    Alexis's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2006
    Posts
    2,255
    Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Both HD-DVD and BluRay are pretty much limited to standalone players for your living room and a very few number of computers (mostly Sony laptops) at the moment.

    I don't even think these formats were in existence when the G5 iMac was in production.

    You can't buy any Mac with a BluRay / HD-DVD drive at the moment. In the future though, my money is on BluRay winning and HD-DVD becoming the 21st century BetaMax.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2007
    Posts
    5
    OK thanks.

  5. #5

    bryphotoguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,978
    Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    And it's not a G5 iMac you have if you bought it brand new. G5 is an older generation. If you have one with the glossy screen and it's not white, it's an Intel Mac.
    Yea, no Macs come with HDDVD or Blu-ray. You can buy a Blu-ray drive for your Mac but they're around $800 or something.

    January 2008 Member of the Month

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Sep 17, 2007
    Posts
    213
    Specs:
    Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewbeat76 View Post
    I just got the new iMac G5 with the black trim or whatever and I wanted to know if its dvd player is also HD or Bluray? Someone told me that it was suppose to have one but I do not know. If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
    yea he said with the black trim so he means the new Intel Imac

  7. #7

    illy5603's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 19, 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    116
    Specs:
    2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Both HD-DVD and BluRay are pretty much limited to standalone players for your living room and a very few number of computers (mostly Sony laptops) at the moment.

    I don't even think these formats were in existence when the G5 iMac was in production.

    You can't buy any Mac with a BluRay / HD-DVD drive at the moment. In the future though, my money is on BluRay winning and HD-DVD becoming the 21st century BetaMax.
    Not to get off topic but BetaMax was a sony proprietary technology back in the day and it lost to the more widely adopted VHS format. Why do you think it would be any different today with HD-DVD being a standard that a lot of different manufacturers can support vs. another of Sony's proprietary hardware solutions? Once the price wars start on these things, HD-DVD will start to pull ahead and BluRay will take its place next to Sony's other great ideas, BetaMax, the Memory Stick and the minidisc.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    FYI, you can buy a mac with a Bluray drive. And that's a Mac Pro. Not sure if Apple offers it as build to order, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something somewhere about Bluray drives in a Mac pro. And even toast supports bluray burning.

    However, you can't play any bluray or hd dvd movie yet cause there is no software support yet...

  9. #9

    Vulcan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    15.4" MBP, 2.2GHz, 160GB
    Quote Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
    Not to get off topic but BetaMax was a sony proprietary technology back in the day and it lost to the more widely adopted VHS format. Why do you think it would be any different today with HD-DVD being a standard that a lot of different manufacturers can support vs. another of Sony's proprietary hardware solutions? Once the price wars start on these things, HD-DVD will start to pull ahead and BluRay will take its place next to Sony's other great ideas, BetaMax, the Memory Stick and the minidisc.
    The real reason VHS won was because of the pornography industry going towards VHS. Now these days thanks to free porn, and the pornography industry going in either format (though I've heard they hated HD), many production companies and studios are going with Blu-Ray. Toshiba is the only manufacturer that strictly makes HD-DVD players.

  10. #10

    JerrfyLube's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2007
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Posts
    192
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
    Unless blu-ray starts getting cheap and in a hurry, i think HD-DVD is gonna take over here pretty soon. Picturewise, their both identical with a little more storage going to the blu-ray but at the expense of being more costly to manufacture. Paramount dropped blu-ray and went with HD-DVD not too long ago....and as long as blu-ray prices continue to be substantially higher, i think other companies will follow suit.

  11. #11

    Vulcan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    15.4" MBP, 2.2GHz, 160GB
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrfyLube View Post
    Unless blu-ray starts getting cheap and in a hurry, i think HD-DVD is gonna take over here pretty soon. Picturewise, their both identical with a little more storage going to the blu-ray but at the expense of being more costly to manufacture. Paramount dropped blu-ray and went with HD-DVD not too long ago....and as long as blu-ray prices continue to be substantially higher, i think other companies will follow suit.
    The cheapest HD-DVD player that can support 1080p, full HD, is around $400. The cheapest Blu-Ray player is around $500. Honestly; $100 more expensive, for a far wider selection, and bigger storage space is worth it.

  12. #12

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    The cheapest HD-DVD player that can support 1080p, full HD, is around $400. The cheapest Blu-Ray player is around $500. Honestly; $100 more expensive, for a far wider selection, and bigger storage space is worth it.
    Most HDtvs are not full 1080P, so that part doesnt matter to most. Blu-Ray discs cost more per disc than HD-DVD discs do.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  13. #13

    Vulcan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    15.4" MBP, 2.2GHz, 160GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Most HDtvs are not full 1080P, so that part doesnt matter to most. Blu-Ray discs cost more per disc than HD-DVD discs do.
    Although that may be true, many people are buying the 1080p HDTVs then ever before; I'm seeing a 2-to-1 ratio with my customers. Why should they purchase the crappy 720p player, when the TV they plan on getting in a year or so will support 1080p?

    Also, by skimming through a lot of places that sell Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, they are relatively the same price (with Blu-Ray being the more expensive by a tad bit). You also have to see that the Blu-Ray disc can hold more information.

  14. #14

    illy5603's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 19, 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    116
    Specs:
    2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
    Well, it doesn't matter to me, I don't watch movies anyway and the two or three that I do like look fine on a regular DVD. I am sitting this one out for a few more years...

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    The thing is, there are much more HD DVD players than Blu ray players in the states. But when you add the 3 million PS3s that have been sold, the number tips towards one side....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BluRay in Win7 ??
    By ragu in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
  2. Mac + PC = Bluray?
    By quiksilverboy in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
  3. BluRay for Macs
    By Honest John in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
  4. Bluray possibility
    By kkelly122 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
  5. GFX and BluRay
    By jordansky in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •