New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Help! My iMac doesn't read discs and I can't eject them!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donteatsoap7

donteatsoap7 is on a distinguished road

I put in a disc and it didn't read or anything. When I pressed the eject button, nothing happened. I'm running Vista with VMware Fusion and it reads and ejects it just fine. Also, it's one of the new iMacs.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Welcome!!!

Check to see is the disk is being read on Vista within VMware....
Otherwise open iTunes... If it shows up there... eject it there.

You can also reboot while holding the left mouse(wired) button.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

What kind of disc is it?
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Why didn't Apple just stick an emergency eject button on the back of the computer? Oh because there are lots of ways of ejecting a disc!!

1) Here goes - the best one, install the optional EJECT MENU

In the route directory of your Mac OS drive open the folder System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click the file "Eject.menu". You will now have a permanent EJECT option in your menu bar

2) Restart with the EJECT button held down (I haven't checked this one)

3) Restart with the mouse button down (as shown above)

4) In a terminal window type "drutil list" this will display a numbered list of currently mounted volumes then type "drutil tray eject 1" replacing the "1" with the number of the volume to eject

5) Mac Pro - Press firmly against the drive front and push downwards then press the eject button with a long slim object.

6) Boot with 'command', 'option', 'O' & 'F' into open firmware then type "eject -cd"

7) Run 'applications/disc utility' and select then eject the volume.

Oh I seem to have run out of ways but way number one should be done by default. With this you will no longer have any problems.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
RR BuGGz

RR BuGGz is on a distinguished road

I noticed the sme thing on my new 24" iMac 2.8ghz. Most DVD's read fine but a couple ie Pursuit of Happiness didn't show up on the desktop and wouldn't eject. It showed up in Disc Utility and was ejected thru there. Wierd thing is the DVD Player app launched but the movie wouldn't play. I tried the couple of DVD's that didnt work on the iMac on my Macbook Pro and they worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Diver

Joe Diver is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.

Done...and thanks! Awesome tip.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post
1) Here goes - the best one, install the optional EJECT MENU

In the route directory of your Mac OS drive open the folder System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click the file "Eject.menu". You will now have a permanent EJECT option in your menu bar
QUOTE Thanks
Davers_Thrash

Davers_Thrash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPod

Having tried for the past hour to eject a disk I believed to be jammed I have realised that in my stupidity I forgot to eject a disk before performing an EFI Firmware update. Now it seem that it does not want to give me back my disk.

I have tried all of the methods that cowasaki kindly listed and none seem to have worked. I tried to boot into Firmware but it does not want to let me for some reason.

Can anyone possibly shed some light on this for me please?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fastest Hard Drives ? | What kinda HD does my mini have? »