New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - B+W rev1 G3 IDE issues - solution?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amedias

amedias is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone! I've been a long time reader but never actually had an account here or posted, time to change!

thought I'd let everyone know about my B+W rev1 G3 IDE experience, as I'm sure most of you are aware there are issues with these machines and newer drives, well I may have found a work around by using old style 40 wire IDE cables instead, I've got 2 machines that have been up solid for nearly 2 weeks now, one of which is serving a 24/7 webcam feed fomr Apache and show NO HDD CORRUPTION AT ALL, and this is on machines that previously were having issues within 10-15 mins of booting!

I've posted my experiences in my Blog (www.rabidwombat.co.uk) but ideally I'm wondering if any of you out there with rev1s could verify that it works for you too! I've only got 2 machines to test with but it seems to have worked on both.

If you need any more details on specs etc then please let me know but would be nice to know if it works for anyone else!

Thanks a lot!
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Interesting find. I might give it a try on my old Rev 1 B&W. I have this 20GB WD drive that corrupts within a day or so every time I use it on my REV 1 B&W. I am sure it has a 80-Wire cable. Worth a shot.

Only other fix is a PCI IDE controller card.
QUOTE Thanks
amedias

that would be great if you could try it!

I'm more than aware of the PCI card way around it but why spend if you don't ahve to!

It really seems to have worked for me but I'm sitting here thinking, surely, surely someone else has tried this before - I can't be the only one to think of it....

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
amedias

I should also say that the performance trade-off seems to be negligable since the IDE controller was always the bottleneck anyway, Xbench scores are within 1-2% of what they were with the original drives, and within 10% of what they would be with the same drive in my G4.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just a quick question, what drives were you using when you got data corruption? Brand and size.
QUOTE Thanks
amedias

Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 40G
Seagate Barracuda 5400rpm 40G
Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm 120G
Maxtor 7200rpm 80G
IBM/Hitachi Travelstar (laptop) 5400rpm 60G

all showed corruption and became unstable with Panther and Tiger within 5-30mins of boot with the exception of the IBM which managed about 12hours.

then retested with all drives and no corruption seen in over 12 hours so then left the 7200rpm Seagate in the webserver and its been running ever since with a few reboots to do patches, and left the IBM in the other one and its been on ever since with no issues.

Matt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Imac and connecting to a HDTV? | I opened my Mac Pro and was disappointed... »