New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Problems with 1 day old 24" iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

illy5603

illy5603 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new 24" iMac from our local apple store and am enjoying it. I am having problems with it locking up and crashing a lot, 3 times in less than 24 hours actually. The first two lockups were the same, logging into the OS and you can move the mouse but clicking on things does nothing. After about 10 minutes I had to resort to using the power button. The lockup today was weirder, when I would move the mouse around the dock area, there would be little artifacts left behind, like little white dots or screen refresh glitches. I get them a lot, even if the system doesn't crash over it. Anyway, after a bit of screen glitching it finally went black and I had to hold the power button to get it turned off and back on. This session it seems ok...

Would you recommend calling Apple over it? I haven't done so much to the system that it would kill me to have it replaced. But I don't know how much further I want to go into transferring my PC itunes library and pictures over if it is going to keep doing this.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Ring apple. Sounds like either a RAM or more serious logic board error to me, they will be happy to exchange it for another.

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

For sure get a hold of Apple. That should not be happening.
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

did you do the updates? I started having this problem yesterday after updates

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

I'd take it right back to the store where you bought it. I took some things back (not my computer) that I bought with my iMac and there were no problems doing that.

Better to be safe now rather than waiting and messing with the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

btw...welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place. Hope to see you here again.

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
did you do the updates? I started having this problem yesterday after updates
Hello,

Yes, I did do all of the system updates. It was working fine during setup, but when I was on the phone with Apple support we couldn't even go through the troubleshooting because it would lock up a few seconds after going into and out of items in System Preferences.

The only other things I installed were adium and connect360 (trial). I also set the iMac up to participate in our windows workgroup and got the file sharing working, very well in fact.

I like this thing so much when it is working that I don't want to have to take it back! haha... Anyway, I have an appointment at the local apple store tomorrow so I am good to get fixed up.

Thanks for the warm welcome and sound advice everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

I repaired permissions and I had some corrections made that related to the itunes update. So far no lockups for me since I repaired permissions

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Interesting AtTheCross - I would have guessed a faulty video card from what was said. illy5603, what was the outcome of your Apple visit?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
I repaired permissions and I had some corrections made that related to the itunes update. So far no lockups for me since I repaired permissions
Did you figure this all out yourself or did an apple tech get you through this? If there is something I could try I would be really interested. My system ran fine for 3 hours straight last night after crashing 6 times before that. I am afraid that the visit will be "Hmmm looks fine to me." when I bring it in... I still haven't managed to get the system to lock up in my girlfriends profile either.
QUOTE Thanks
illy5603

Here are some videos showing the problems. I have these on my desktop on the iMac so if it doesn't display any symptoms at the store, they can at least see these...

http://www.seeglow.com/images/apple/glitch1.mov

http://www.seeglow.com/images/apple/glitch2.mov

I will let you know how it turns out.
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

Good plan...and let us know how it turns out
QUOTE Thanks
illy5603

Well, the diagnosis was a confident "Dude, it shouldn't be doing that..." from my Mac genius. He promptly replaced it. Here is keeping my fingers crossed that the new one is better, I am setting it up right now.

A note on the Apple store; the mall was nearly empty until I walked into the Apple store! Jeepers, there must have been 50 people crammed in there. The geniuses will help anyone with any problem, it is kind of cool but also just a TAD annoying when your appointment drags 20 minutes late...

So far, still an excited and happy switcher.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Excellent, I am glad that it turned out well, and very happy as well that Apple offered excellent customer service. Always good to see.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
bsavitz

bsavitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz

My 3 day old iMac had a slightly noisy fan (though much quieter than my Dell). I took it back to the Apple Store and they promptly replaced it. Excellent service.
QUOTE Thanks
rc51927

rc51927 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm a brand new iMac 24" owner as well about a week old... everything is working great until my Western Digital My Book keeps crashing my iMac. I have it plugged in on the Firewire port... I've reformated it and update the firmware on the external drive but still keeps crashing... I've turned off the drive now and see if I can fix it later...

My 2nd crash is happening when I'm publishing my iMovie to my .Mac... If I live it alone it seems like it goes on a sleep mode and then when I try to wake it up nothing happens... I had to push the button on the back to reboot it... Then what I did is I turned off the Power Save options to see what happens... re-publish my iMovie again and then when I got back all I see is a white screen with vertical lines...

I love this thing but looks like I'm not starting on the right foot on this one... I'll call apple and see if they have issues but if anyone had the same issue please advise....

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 w/OS 9 and G5 w/OS 10.4 - Which KVM switch will work? | Need help updating my graphics card!!!!! »