New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Loud Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leebob61

leebob61 is on a distinguished road

I just had my new (1st) iMac replaced by apple because the DVD drive crapped out. They gave me a whole new computer because it had only been three weeks. Once i got it home i noticed that i could hear the hard drive when it was thinking.
I wold not have normally noticed (because it sounds like any 8 year old PC i have ever used) it except that the imac i just sent back was absolutely silent.
It is a slight annoyance and i wonder if anyone out there has issues with the HDD noise.

Nathan
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Is it a high-pitched whining sound of it spinning, or just rattling while it's accessing? If it's the former then I'd return it, as it MIGHT be an indication of future problems.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Unfortunately, some brands of hard drive are very quiet and some are not. In general, Apple uses fairly quiet components, but absolute silence, from a device that sits on your desk and only inches from your ears, is pretty hard to come by. If all you hear is a faint high pitched whine (the kind where if you turn your head to a different angle it more or less fades away) I'm afraid you have a perfectly normal hard drive. Most emit a low volume, high pitched whine. You may have just lucked out with the first machine (at least from a hard drive perspective.

I invite other iMac owners (I have a PowerMac, and it makes a lot more noise than "perfect silence", although it is still quite the quiet machine) to comment. Do you hear a faint whine from your machine?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

I have a late Fall 2006 iMac and I would say mine runs almost silent. That was one of the things I first noticed when I got my iMac.

I did notice a change when I first installed Parallels and began running both Windows XP and Mac OS X at the same time. Whenever I would try to access a file or folder on XP, I could heard something on Windows XP, I could heard "the hard-drive is thinking" noises.

As of right now, I do not really hear those noises anymore. Occassionally I'll hear sounds that louder than usually. But for the most part mine runs quietly.

Hope this provides any insight.
QUOTE Thanks
FriPilot

FriPilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Imac 17" 2GB

Keep an eye on your S.M.A.R.T. monitor in Disc Utility.
There's also a little Application called SmartReporter that sits in your menu bar. It will check the S.M.A.R.T. monitor regularly for you and will change color as well as send you an email if something goes awry.

FriPilot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Power Supply Question | Mac Mini not recognizing replacement hdd on os x install »