New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Processor Upgrade Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shakermaker

I have a G4 533, and am looking at buying a 1GHZ AGP card to upgrade the processor speed a wee bit.

My question is how does it work?
If I buy a OWC Mercury Extreme G4/1.0-1.2GHz Processor Upgrade card, does it give my processor a 700 MHZ boost?
Does it use both processors (533 and 1.2GHZ) giving me like a dual 1.7GHZ?
Does it "replace" the processor?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It replaces the card doesn't just add to the speed

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Shakermaker

What do you mean "It replaces the card". Do I have to remove my processor from the motherboard for the AGP processor upgrade card to work?
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
What do you mean "It replaces the card". Do I have to remove my processor from the motherboard for the AGP processor upgrade card to work?
Yes you have to remove yor old one and replace it with the new one. Its simple to do. If you can plug in the power cord you can do the upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Though I would suggest that you plug OUT the power cord before doing the upgrade... ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakermaker

Your processor is not soldered onto the motherboard, it sits on a "daughter" card. You simply swap the old card out with the new one. Just make sure your firmware is up-to-date per the upgrade's instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
Shakermaker

Excellent - thanks for the 411!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The most Minimum | iMac G3 not starting up »