New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - PowerMac G5 Ram Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elwoodblues85

elwoodblues85 is on a distinguished road

So, I have a dual 2.3 processor G5 tower with 1gb of ram, split between two 512mb sticks. I decided I wanted to upgrade, so I ventured to my local Circuit City and picked up a 1gb stick of Kingston PC3200 ValueRam (I know, not the best ram, but it was cheap and I'm poor).

I installed the ram into the computer, all fine and dandy, but now when I boot and check System Profiler, it's only recognizing the two 512 sticks that were already there. My question/s are

1. Why is it not recognizing that ram? Do I need to configure something on the computer

2. If the ram isn't showing up is system profiler, is it possible that it's using it but not showing?

3. What would be the best configuration for the three sticks? I assume that the 1bg should go on one riser with the 2 512's with the other, but will it make a difference which goes where?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I think you have to install the RAM in pairs so you would need to install 2- 1GB modules.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

As was stated by bryphotoguy, you will need to buy two 512 for 1GB or get two 1 GB for 2GB of memory.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GeForce2MX - Max Resolution? | iMac Woes »