New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac or Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andrew West

Andrew West is on a distinguished road

It's been seven or eight years since I last used a mac, so I'm a little unfamiliar with some of the finer points of OSX. That said, I've done my homework on the hardware and I've narrowed it down to two options.

The 24 inch (2.4 GHz) iMac or the 15 inch (2.2 GHz) Macbook Pro.

I intend to use the machine for a number of things; audio/video/photo editing and writing.

I can get more for the money with an iMac, which should come in handy with the resource-hungry software A/V editing involves. However, I like the idea of being able to take my work with me; a definite plus for a writer (or anyone else who prefers office work outside the office).

Having no hands-on experience with either machine, I thought I'd ask for some advice, suggestions, and opinions.

Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
blaktornado

blaktornado is on a distinguished road

Well, it really depends if you want power over portability.

If you would rather have a faster machine and be limited to a desk or have a great computer but with portability.

Personally, I would get the iMac (Like I am doing, haha). That way, if you don't like the Macbook Pro keyboard (Or iMac, for that matter) then you can get another and not have to be limited of your portability by taking your keyboard around with you to type properly.

But it's really up to which you prefer, and, of course, your wallet

13 days till iMac
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Both machines are great. And should handle what you like just fine. But I would like to make a few comments on both for you. In regard to answering your question.

imac - If you don't need the portability get this one. Just beware the screen is glossy. And there seems to be a love/hate relationship with this. The same with the new keyboard. There's always last revisions white imacs with the matte screen. But I dunno if you'd want this or if you can get them new anymore. I really suggest you go to a mac store and have a loot at it. And have a go at one.

macbook pro - More expensive. But portable. I say only get this if you really need a portable mac. If you do then you'll love it. If not have a look at the current and last revision imacs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gigabit Ethernet video upgrade | Is 8-core overkill? »