New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro running soo slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Recently I started using the pro apps more often. I knew it would run slow w/ these apps but not this much slower.

Yesterday I had to wait about 5 minutes for Compressor to import a 5 gig video and another 3 minutes of the beach-ball every-time I changed a setting.

Today I wanted to remove 1750 referenced photos from aperture and the program just locks up and I have to force quit it.

I run OnyX regularly. I thought this computer was meant for this. Is it because I only have 1 gig of Ram?

Thanks in advance

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Hmm. RAM is probably the problem by the sound of it.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

I thought so. thanks. Anyone else have a suggestion or do you agree?

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I just looked at the Aperture Minimum Requirements and this is what it says for using the app on a Mac Pro:

Quote:
Memory:

- 1GB of RAM required
- 2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro
So I think you definitely need to add more RAM. Note that 2GB is a minimum requirement. If you run other apps in the background you will need more than 2GBs of RAM in total on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

1 GB of RAM sounds pretty tiny for a Mac Pro,

To just mention that he new iMacs come with a standard of 1 GB, how long ago did you buy it ?

But well, I will conclude indeed, more RAM will hopefully do the trick,

Maybe try to find some nice cheap ones on Ebay, adding like 2GB would not costs too much and it will give you a nice feeling again on the mac (that's what it's all about isn't it )

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

yep more ram

- Recommended Configuration

Mac computer with 2GHz or faster Intel Core Duo or dual 2GHz of faster PowerPC G5
Mac OS X version 10.4.8 or later
2GB of SDRAM
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

Thank you all for the help.

I would just buy some on ebay but I need the kind with the special heat-sinks because on the mac pro the warm air from the processors goes to the ram.

I was thinking about selling my 2 x 512 MB and putting in 2 x 1 GB. They say you should have everything the same capacity and the 512 MB sticks run the slowest.

I bought it a month after it was released

I was thinking $90 for the 2 x 512. Does that sound right?

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Personally I never look for bargain brands when I buy RAM. I had a RAM stick turn bad on me and I would rather buy from a reputable source with a lifetime warranty so that if ever my investment goes bad, I'll get a free replacement.

I trust OWC. I bought some RAM from them a few years back for an old grape iMac and they were very nice and professional to deal with, very helpful.

You can also check Crucial which is a very very good brand of RAM and so is Kingston.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

I looked at Crucial and they are a bit pricey. But OWC have great prices. I may end up keeping what I have and adding to it. Thank you very much

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Personally I never look for bargain brands when I buy RAM. I had a RAM stick turn bad on me and I would rather buy from a reputable source with a lifetime warranty so that if ever my investment goes bad, I'll get a free replacement.

I trust OWC. I bought some RAM from them a few years back for an old grape iMac and they were very nice and professional to deal with, very helpful.

You can also check Crucial which is a very very good brand of RAM and so is Kingston.
I agree with this. I have used Crucial RAM since about 1998 and never had any issues. You can still get it for less than half what Apple charge.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro specs help | Connecting PowerMac G5 to 1080p »