New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - New iMac - Memory speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

touringman

touringman is on a distinguished road

Just ordered a new 24" iMac.

Was gonna get 3rd party Ram upgrade to 4GB but crucial have got two speeds available - 5300 667 and 6400 800 - the latter being very expensive!

Questions
- Any difference in real world performance?
- Any way it can mix two different types?
- 4gb of 5300 667 or 2 gb 6400 800?

Cheers

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Get the 800, it's much faster.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennec View Post
Get the 800, it's barely faster.
I fixed your post.
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
I fixed your post.
Ty :')
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Get the 667. The 800MHz memory won't run any faster at all in an iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
darwinism

darwinism is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Get the 667. The 800MHz memory won't run any faster at all in an iMac.
I beg to differ:

Quote:
* 2.0GHz or 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, or 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme processor
* 4MB shared L2 cache at full processor speed
* 800MHz system bus
* 1GB (one SO-DIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory
* Two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB
Taken DIRECTLY from the Apple site, specs of the latest iMac. I'd bet you 100 that the reason Apple load them up with 667 ram, is due to the (currently) prohibitively expensive 800 ram.

Crucial list PC-6400 on their upgrade site for iMac:
http://crucial.com/uk/store/listpart...h%29%20MA876LL

So if it was no faster, then why would they do so?.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
I beg to differ:
[...] I'd bet you 100 that the reason Apple load them up with 667 ram, is due to the (currently) prohibitively expensive 800 ram[....]
Taken DIRECTLY from the Apple (hardware developer documentation) site
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...inkElementID_7
Quote:
The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant
Note also the block diagram here:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...4829-TPXREF101
Which clearly notes that the RAM slots run at 667MHz

Shall I PM you with my address for my 100?
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

WOW!! The last post with the links confused me more than when I started reading the thread. People (well most) by Macs because there simple. Can someone please translate all the technobabble. I thought the 800MHz front-side bus meant you could run the faster 800MHz ram. If so does it actually make a difference?
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
I fixed your post.
lol. i dont know the difference. but i would assume there isnt much difference between the two speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
iNick

iNick is on a distinguished road

You can mix the speeds, BUT, if you have two different speeds of RAM in a computer, all the RAM will be accessed at the lower of the two speeds. That said, Id go for the cheaper of the two cause you won't notice the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As technologist stated, the new iMac runs at 667 Mhz. Purchasing faster speed ram will do nothing for you in any way. It will not run any faster than the bus speed of the system which is 667 Mhz. Why waste the $$$?
QUOTE Thanks
needlewithaprun

needlewithaprun is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNick View Post
Id go for the cheaper of the two cause you won't notice the difference.
Is there really no difference between the two?
QUOTE Thanks
iNick

iNick is on a distinguished road

You asked if there is any difference real world performance wise, I say that there isn't. Perhaps if you were buying a maxed out Mac pro for controlling a rocket ship on NASA's next space mission, then I'd go for the faster RAM. If I had to quantise the performance increase, Id say (and by no means is this based on anything other then personal experience) if you were encoding a CD in iTunes it might, if at all, finish 1/3 of a second quicker with the faster RAM.

Besides if you mix 667 with 800, as per my last post, the speed of the 800 becomes effectively 667. Ask an expert (not the person trying to sell it to you) and they will say the same thing. So unless you replace both RAM modules you will not get the speed boost.

Keep in mind that Apple themselves couldn't see the benefit.
I wouldn't waste my money.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

technologist is correct (still have to spread it around tech)

according to Apple's tech specs, the bus speed is 800Mhz only between the CPU and the northbridge, the bus speed between the northbridge and the memory is 667Mhz.

Putting a memory chip with a speed higher than the bus speed in a machine with EFI and basically no tweaking capability on the motherboard to overclock (at least not easily) is wasted money. You will see no performance gain with them based on the clock speed. If you can find some 800 with lower latency than any 667 (unlikely) you may see a very small performance gain, but would not likely be enough to notice without running speed tests between the two of them.

edit: have to say I do not know enough about EFI boards to even know how or even if these boards make adjustments between different latency memory.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Repair or replace? | ram »