New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - External harddisk and/or extra RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

Heya guys,

I'm thinking of buying an iMac, but there are some things I worry about for the future before buying it yet,

First of all, I will use my Mac over a year for my study, but I am not sure if it is quick enough to manage all the stuff I want to do, or simply just takes too long, that won't be great at all, so I have a question:
WOuld it help to buy, over a year!, extra RAM, and how do you connect that to the iMac?

Second, the new iMacs come with a standard of 320 GB, well that sounds fair enough for the start, but when I need more space, is it just as simple to go to a shop (does it matter which?) to buy a harddisk with like 500 GB for 100 euro or what ever it costs, and connect it simply to my iMac, (which port?)

When this all gets way too difficult I might save more money to buy a much better iMac a bit later on, so I can have a iMac which goes faster and better.

Thanks for your reply!

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

If you buy a current model iMac then you will enjoy life. There are no issues with speed. If you need Windoze then buy Parallels. It will more than satisfy.

As for extra stuff - buy more RAM to start (1.5GB at least) and you are good to go. As for the external - watch for FIREWIRE if possible as it is faster than USB 2. 300+gb is loads of storage so you have some time before you fill it

Perhaps if you are unsure look into leasing the Mac for the year.
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Thanks for your reply!

Do you suggest the iMac will not slow down at all while you use it year after year? should be the first PC I've heard about that does not ;-)

Second: how do you connect the RAM to your iMac, is it by USB, or firewire?

Greetings,

and P.S. I will not lease one, I am sure I will buy one, but just not sure when and how much I will spend on it

QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

We don't take kindly to Macs being called PCs... That's what we call Wintels.. Anyway, no it won't slow down.

Uh, no buddy. The RAM goes INSIDE the iMac. You unscrew a single screw on the bottom and slot it in or out. Much easier than with a PC where you gotta open it up, find the RAM, slot it in etc.
QUOTE Thanks
cNK

cNK has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
watch for FIREWIRE if possible as it is faster than USB 2.
Really? I thought USB 2.0 was as fast or even slightly faster than Firewire (400mb/s). I just bought a 500GB external HDD, only compatible w/ USB 2.0 only b/c I thought it would be equally as fast
I guess I should have throwed the extra $25 for Firewire... Oh well...
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

But well, you have 5 USB ports, and only 1 FIREWIRE 400 and 1 FIREWIRE 800, might need them for something else?

Compatible with both would be the best I would say/

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More processor power or more RAM? | Duplicating existing iMac 20 on new iMac 20 »