New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

iMac; buy now or wait for the rumoured new ones?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenBateman

BenBateman is on a distinguished road

hey guys ,

First off apologies as you have probably answered these questions before, ive tried scanning the previous 6 pages of threads and gained as many answers as possible myself...

been looking to buy an iMac (in the uk) for the past two weeks now and have my heart set on the 20incher...

looking around, as has i have just been reading on some threads here, stocks seemed quite low...further investigation led to all these august 7th rumours of the new iMac design being released...

Now, i was literally on the phone tonight with credit card in hand to buy one but eventually didnt as i had to scoot off to dinner...

Was this fate? After doing this investigation im now stuck as to whether to buy the current 20incher or wait for these new designs, or even punish myself further and wait until october for the Leopard release...

So here are my questions for you Macoholics:

*** Should i buy the current 20incher or wait for the new iMacs to be released

*any ideas if the new iMacs are going to cost more?

* if so are they going to have any added features or speed?

* * * And the dreaded question > should i wait until October to buy one so it has Leopard already onboard...?

All advice and opinions would really help. Although i am desperate to get my hands on an iMac (as my Vaio packed in last month ), i dont want to be shortchanged and find i could have waited just that little bit longer to get the latest gear {tho i know i could just wait until 2010 for the new built-in-brain OS X)...
QUOTE Thanks
chrisgrieve

chrisgrieve is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)

i would wait and buy the new iMac when it is released, there is speculation that it should be released quite soon, i an wanting to buy one too so im just gonna wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

At this point, it wouldn't hurt to hold out to see if anything is rolled out next month (since it is around the corner). This is when many rumors suggest the new iMac launch. Just also consider that rumors are often that, rumors. So don't work yourself into an excited frenzy then come down if what you want to happen, doesn't happen in the time you want it to.
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

You should wait another month. If Apple doesn't release a new iMac, you should curse the name of Steve Jobs and immediately go out and buy an HP.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

wait for the new iMac like i am.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Even if the new one was three months away, I wouldn't spend a grand on a computer with such a mediocre graphics chip in it.
You'd be buying a 2006 computer at inflated prices.
QUOTE Thanks
socalisurfing

socalisurfing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G

Defineatly wait for the hopeful august release. It sucks to buy the old verison then the newer ten times better version comes out the next week. Happened to me with the 80 gb iPod. Then when leopard is released in october buy for the cheap $130. Dont steal it, thats just stupid.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
WOTTO

WOTTO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" Intel 2.4 ghz

I've been watching and waiting. First they said new iMacs at WWDC. Now they say August. Like Alexis said why buy a 2006 computer at todays prices.
I'm going to hold out for the new iMac. Hopefully it will be worth the wait
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

shmendall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo

Hey! I love my 2006 computer (mac) I bought last month!

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
AZRunner

AZRunner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM

FWIW, I was just at the Apple store today and asked one of the guys if he knew anything about the rumored new iMac release. A look of panic crossed his face, then he tried to recover with "We haven't heard anything official yet." If I was playing poker, I'd have gone all in.
QUOTE Thanks
Mylo

Mylo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16Ghz, White

AZRunner, same happened to me, but the sales guy wasn't so tight lipped.

It wasn't an apple store, but a Military BX that's now an official Apple dealer.

I asked the Apple guy when they are expecting more 20ich iMacs in. He said 'I have no idea, because all of my orders for iMacs are being denied. In a panic, I asked if they are no longer going to sell Apple, he said 'Nah, I just think they are up to something and don't want to ship when there's an upgrade around the corner.'

Mysterious...
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

Well I will wait and save some more money till October,
but I serious doubt if we in Europe get the newest iMac right away, or need to wait as usual again for months,

Serious hate that,

I heard from a mate from me that the 20" will be also in chromium, but well I can not say if that information was reliable,

Hope it is, I think I will rater prefer chromium than the white color, so I don't have to clean it every day, haha
QUOTE Thanks
Jazzdall

Jazzdall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4GB Ram 320GB HD

you could wait untill the new one comes out then buy the old iMac for dirt cheap!
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzdall View Post
you could wait untill the new one comes out then buy the old iMac for dirt cheap!
Good point,

To admit, they aren't that bad now a days,

I should watch my words now,

but when you look to Windows with their new great version of Vista, I have not heard 1 person being happy about it,

But how can I ever compare Apple and Microsoft?

That's like comparing Phil Collins with someone on the corner of the street singing 'Amazing grace'

hehe,

Still, I want to see first how much the new once is going to cost, the standard 17" iMac out here (Netherlands) is around 1.199 with the least of everything in it,

I ain't Santa Claus
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

I recently purchased my imac and i love it.They are reasonable as of now.Either way they are far and beyond technology of the average computer.The machine i purchased should be good for 5 years or beyond the standard pc.If you look at it in that way then you will be fine.Even some new computers cannot stand next to the lowest grade machine.....And Vista customers are moving more and more away from computers because Vista will not run on most computers,resource hog of a OS.I was witness to a sales rep. telling a woman that had purchased her pc 5 months before Vista was released that she would need to update her whole computer in order for it to be compatible.And the customer followed through with what the sales rep. was telling/suggesting to her.So go figure....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac G5 1.6 Ghz Won't Boot. Shuts Down at Gray Screen. HELP! | G5, G4, G3, what G? »