New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - what spec?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lkavaney

lkavaney is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I am a photographer looking to switch over to mac from a pc. I like the look of the mac pro but I'm not sure what spec I need. I will be running photoshop CS2 at present but will be upgrading soon, want aperture too. I already decided on the 23" HD screen but one day when money allows I will be wanting to add in a 2nd screen. Ok so I know aperture expects 2gb ram but other than that I haven't a clue what I need to be honest! thanks for your help in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

I wouldn't advice running CS2 on a Mac Pro intel. CS2 is PPC only and while it still runs, believe me from experience it doesn't run well. It's very slow most of the time and freezes 99% of the time for about 10 seconds, sometimes more, then does what you want it to do.

In any case, if you plan on getting CS3 then any of the Mac Pro configs will work perfectly for what you want. You can take a look at my specs below, I run CS3, Aperture, Handbrake, iSquint and many other CPU and memory intensive applications with no problems at all. At this very moment I'm ripping a DVD with Handbrake while converting another with iSquint for my bosses iPod, along with browsing the web and talking on Adium and my Mac is working just fine. The processors are maxed out and I do have the fans as high as they can go and I'm still running about 4 degree's higher than normal, but my Windows machine would have crashed by now.

Regards,
Mike Bowden
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac hard drive OBLITERATION! | Buying my first mac for FCP »