New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

OS 10.3 - New user, new job, old G4mac. Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tonig

tonig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4! 733MHz/1.25GB

I'm new here. Can anyone give me advice in regards to persuading my boss that upgrading my G4 mac to a G5 is the only way to go when using Adobe's creative suite. I use Indesign most of all as i work in publishing. Before i came here-I'd always had an up to date machine. My specs at work now are: 733MHz/1.25 OsX 10.3.9

Indesign struggles and I don't even have a DVD drive.
What should I have and where do i source the cheapest.

Any advice would rock my world!
Tx
QUOTE Thanks
tonig

I'm new here. Can anyone give me advice in regards to persuading my boss that upgrading my G4 mac to a G5 is the only way to go when using Adobe's creative suite. I use Indesign most of all as i work in publishing. Before i came here-I'd always had an up to date machine. My specs at work now are: 733MHz/1.25 OsX 10.3.9

Indesign struggles and I don't even have a DVD drive.
What should I have and where do i source the cheapest.

Any advice would rock my world!
Tx
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

why not tell him the truth, and forget g5, go for intel. CS3 is built to run on intel macs.
QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

What should you have? At your job? A mac pro probably.

Realistically speaking:
From the specs of your machine it sounds like you have a quicksilver model.I'm thinking that a 733MHz processor may get bogged down during intensive work. IMO any powerpc processor over 1GHz should be adequate for most tasks. However a g5 would obviously be better than a g4. G5's are also still very expensive. On ebay the cheapest g5's usually go for around $800 +.

Powermac Info and Specs LInks
Check out the links in this thread for some in depth info on powermacs. It helped me choose the right powermac when i was looking for a new mac. My g4MDD 1.25GHz cost $525.

Hope this helps and good luck convincing your boss

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
tonig

G5 would work better with CS2.
I did say he'd have to update eventually but it depends on what he wants to pay for now.

Thanks though.
TX
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I would agree that an upgrade could prove beneficial. But going to a G5 might not be the best option at this point.
I would suggest that more RAM be added, and upgrade to the CS3 suite for now. Your boss won't have to front as much money as he would for a new system that way, and the machine you have now will see a marked improvement from the RAM and you will already have CS3... so if and when the machine gets updated to an Intel Mac, you are all set with the new software.
You get the benefits of the latest software now, which IMO is a much better choice considering the circumstances.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposted threads

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G3 boots fine, but no startup sound. | Thinking about my first mini »