Thread: RAM Module Question
07-10-2007, 10:28 PM #1
RAM Module Question
- Member Since
- Jul 10, 2007
I have an iMac 1.25 GHz 20" which uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM modules. In addition to the factory-installed 256 Mb module, I have added a 512Mb module.
I would like to upgrade to the machine-rated 1GB of RAM maximum. Thus, I have few quick (& remedial) questions:
(1) Can the factory-installed 256 Mb module be replaced or is it permanently installed?
(2) If it is permanently installed, I will have to replace the user-installed 512Mb module. Since (I assume) that the next larger size of RAM would be 1GB, would this be a problem (since total installed RAM would be 1.25GB)?
(3) Which manufacturer(s) would you recommend for high-quality RAM modules?
Thank you for your help!
07-11-2007, 12:09 AM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 27, 2007
- 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. Yes it can be replaced. As far as I know all ram modules can be replaced.
2. According to mac tracker your imac has the following 2 ram slots:
PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM (user accessible)
PC2700 184-pin SDRAM (Factory Installed)
And it says the maximum ran you can have in it is:
2.0 GB actual
So by that definition you can have 2 GB of ram in your mac. 1 GB from apple in it's factory installed slot and 1 GB you add yourself. I think. I'm not sure if that factory Ram can be removed. I'm pretty sure it can be though.
And Apple says this here about your mac's memory.
256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM; supports up to 1GB
So hmmm I think even if 1.0 GB is the max memory you can have. Having 1.25 GB of ram in your machine shouldn't affect it at all. Cause only 1 GB of it will be accessed by the machine and the last 0.25 GB will be just forgoten about. Well I think that's how it works. Anyone want to confirm of deny this?
3. If you're in the US a store called Newegg has been suggested here many times. I don't live in the US so I'm just taking the words of the members here.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By mwilson in forum Other Hardware and PeripheralsReplies: 1Last Post: 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
By Jingol in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 7Last Post: 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
By mrs.biggo in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 2Last Post: 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
By f6f6 in forum Music, Audio, and PodcastingReplies: 0Last Post: 05-02-2009, 11:09 AM
By NanoBite in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 4Last Post: 05-27-2007, 09:22 PM