New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G3 As PC Monitor ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youngwun0

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have a bit of a silly question that has been on my mind for some time now.... i realize macs and pc's should be sepereted and i realize monitors aren't that expensive now a days but i have 2 pc's and my imac g3, anyway one of my pc's do not have a monitor and sometimes i wish i could use my imac g3 as a monitor for it for just a bit to do some windows related stuff without huge lagging, i was wondering if it is possible to use a imac g3 as a pc monitor ? I know you can do it the other way around or use a pc monitor for your imac g3 but that's about all i know and have read, anyone know if this is possible ?

Any help would deeply be appreciated

Here is my iMac G3 stats in case it is needed to verify weather or not it can idk:
Apple iMac G3 Indigo (Model: M5521)
Processor: 400 Mhz G3 PowerPc
320MB Ram
10GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Network: 10/100 Ethernet
Modem: 56.6k
Wireless: Airport Ready
Ports: 2 USB + 2 Firewire
Display: 15" Color (13.8" viewable, .28 dp, 95 Hz-800 x 600).
Onboard Sound With Headphone Jack
Operating System: Mac O/S/X 10.3.9 And Mac O/S 9.2.2 Installed
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I assume you could. I know the first G3 iMacs had the standard vga plug inside that connected to the logic board. I am not sure when they discontinued that. If yours has that, you could take it apart and take off that back apple logo and buy a vga extension cable. That's a lot of work if it's possible. Otherwise, I bet you could ruin the G3 by ripping apart the cord and splicing it or whatever you call it to a vga end piece if you know electronics and wiring. Also way too insane.
I think you can pick up 17" CRT's for $50 these days so I would go that route if you need the 2 PC's running at once.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 video card needed | I did it »