New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Recommended Specs for Broadband (No Joke)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to convert everyone to Macism. So I thought, the iMac G3 is the ideal starting point, because they're relitivly cheap, and easy to maintain/upgrade.

First on my list is a seven year old boy, who uses his Windows XP Machine (AMD XP 1700+, 512MB RAM) for flash games. MiniClip.com, Freeloader, Shockwave and the like.

I'd be installing OS X Tiger on the Computer, what would be your minimum recommended specs for a system (preferably an iMac G3) to run 'Flash Games' smoothly.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Um I think that just about any G3 should be upto that.
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

The 233Mhz one certainly isn't...

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The iMac G3 is like a P3 600Mhz - I'd expect a lot of flash games to stutter running on that.
They can be surprisingly cpu intensive!

You'd be much better off going with a Mac Mini and his current monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

From my experiences 400mhz is needed for 10.4. And 512 MB ram is nice also. My old 33mhz imac didn't like it at all. But it ran 10.3 just fine.

I agree with the above advice. Keep the old monitor/mouse/keyboard and just get a mac mini.
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

I can say that on my 450MHZ with 512RAM running 10.3.9 can't stand up to most webgames

The G4 towers don't cost too much but the most cost effective thing would be to keep the PC.

At any rate I don't think he'd be happy with the G3
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I am not sure of the specs of a AMD 1700+ but I had a 2200+ PC I built a few years ago and it was a workhouse. It was far superior than any G3 iMac. If you want something that will last a few years and be upgradable, you need a PowerMac. I've purchased 400MHz G3 PowerMacs for the same price I've purchased G3 iMacs ($80 with shipping.) You could get a nice G4 PowerMac for $400 or something. I was researching dual 1.25Ghz machines last week and they go for around $550 on eBay. I would think that's comparable to or a little faster than the 1700+ AMD.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« two independent ethernet interfaces on imac | iMac G3 Firewire Enclosure Question »