New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Some advice.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

Ok, so my lovely iMac's superdrive has conked out on me and needs replacing. I've been quoted about 200 to fix it by a local Apple Dealer/ Maintenance place in Paris, but I was planning on getting an external hard drive as I'm in sore need of backing up (a Western Digital My Book Pro Edition for about 114). Problem is I can't afford it all. I could get a cheap external burner for about 75-100 and the hard drive, but i'm kind of not feeling having an extra box on my table, and really love the slide in motion of the superdrive. So, my question:
Fix Superdrive and wait a while to back up, or go cheaper, less aesthetic route and be all safe and sound asap.
Hmmm...
QUOTE Thanks
sickink2

sickink2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM | 24" iMac, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB RAM

You'll probably end up fixing the Superdrive eventually anyway, right? Save the money you'd spend somewhere down the road and just do it now. Backing up is important, but it can probably wait at least a little longer until you can afford an external hard drive. (Plus, if it comes down to it, just buy a pack of DVDs and back your important stuff up manually.)
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

You know, that's what i was doing when my drive died, burning back up dvd's, so, the wheel turns. Yeah, you're prob right, i would really like my mac all whole again. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC G4 eSATA PCI card - help! | Got my new iMac »