New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - external hard drive not showing up!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xkpchrist

xkpchrist is on a distinguished road

i have a mac book duo core 2ghz 1 gig ram and 80 gig hd.

i have a 250 gig external that i've been using perfectly fine. but after i put in my digital camera the external has not been showing up. it has shown up on my father's pc. my mac is apparently not picking it up. it is formatted to apple. i partitioned using disc utility so i'm not sure what is going on. my usb drive's are working perfectly other equipment work fine.
PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

When you open disc utility, does it show up in the list?

QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

no it does not.
i figured it might be the cable. but when i use the same cable on my pc the usb drive on my pc shows up.
QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

bump someone please help me
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

I'm having this problem as well.

Strangely it occurred after last month's OS update.

I've just put the thing on ice for the time being in the hope that it'd sort itself out.

Nothing changed with the last OS update though I did notice they referred to USB support.

I also noticed that the RAID settings (?) were tuned to MS-Dos which may be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated as I had a huge collection of music videos on it which I had yet to backup.

In other good news, it caused me to buy a firewire lacie 1 terabyte external drive and my music is now doubley backed up and safe until I can find the time to put it on disk.

I'd be gutted if I lost my music!!
QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

dude man i have over 80 gigs of movies and like 2 gigs of pictures on here and cant back up any of it!!!! most of it is in there for a reason. reasons as i needed space on my internal. ahh seriously i dont know what to do T.t
QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

is there any way to reset everything on your mac to default settings? that doesnt require formatting?
QUOTE Thanks
Cap'n Ahab

Cap'n Ahab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP CD 2.16Ghz, 2GB, 100GB HD, 15.4", 256 MB vram

I believe you can do an archive and install, that should sort out the problem. However, if it is an update related issue, you want to be sure NOT to update until at least 10.5 comes out, or after you are able to move your media.

I had a problem with my MBP not going to sleep and it turned out the issue was a buggy install of MS office. I didn't have to reformat, just archive and install a fresh version of OS X.

Basically you reboot the machine with the OS X disk that came with it, then follow the instructions. Just make sure you DO NOT choose format, you just want to archive the existing OS and install a fresh one with it. You'll have two OS's on the drive, eating up a little more space, but the new one should work like before. You'll be able to access all of the old files, but will have the functionality of the old OS as well.

I hope that works for you, if not, I'm stumped.

Cheers

I'll follow him around the Horn, and around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames before I give him up.
QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

hmm ok. thank you that doesnt seem to be to difficult. hehe i'll let you know what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
xkpchrist

ok so using the archive restart worked. it took forever to install the mac osx again but it worrkkeed thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM questions - iMac 20 C2D | Decisions.. decisions.. »