Smile Advice for G4 CPU upgrade?
    I'm looking to upgarde my G4 digital Audio processor. There seems to be 4 or 5 companies out there vying for this kind business. Any advice would be much appreciated:

I'm particularly concerned about compatibility issues, either with software or third party hardware - (just changed my CD drive)?

I was also wondering about noise regarding cooling fans, etc. can I expect a quieter machine if I upgrade, or not? Would a single processor be quieter than a dual?

Finally, can anybody recommend a particular make, that's easy to install, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    I did this some years ago on my G4 Sawtooth box. I went with PowerLogix and had zero problems. In fact, my sister in law is currently running that 1.25Ghz processor on her G4 Mac (I gave it to her when I got my Quad).

I understand that you might have had your G4 for many a year now and may want to keep it, but G4 Upgrades are expensive, get a second hand G5 instead

Thanks for comments lads,

I've been looking at Powerlogix.

If I was going to get another Mac it was going to be a laptop because I'm a photographer, and keep my G4 to run my scanner and printer. But am I right in assuming that even the latest powerbooks still use G4 CPUs because the G5s emit so much heat? I must admit I could be wrong, I haven't looked into this.

Can you recommend a G5 to get 2nd hand?

Mac laptops switched from PowerPC chips to Intel chips in January 2006, when the PowerBook name was dropped in favour of MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Check out

Thread Information