New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Advice for G4 CPU upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paul1

paul1 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I'm looking to upgarde my G4 digital Audio processor. There seems to be 4 or 5 companies out there vying for this kind business. Any advice would be much appreciated:

I'm particularly concerned about compatibility issues, either with software or third party hardware - (just changed my CD drive)?

I was also wondering about noise regarding cooling fans, etc. can I expect a quieter machine if I upgrade, or not? Would a single processor be quieter than a dual?

Finally, can anybody recommend a particular make, that's easy to install, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I did this some years ago on my G4 Sawtooth box. I went with PowerLogix and had zero problems. In fact, my sister in law is currently running that 1.25Ghz processor on her G4 Mac (I gave it to her when I got my Quad).

QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

I understand that you might have had your G4 for many a year now and may want to keep it, but G4 Upgrades are expensive, get a second hand G5 instead
QUOTE Thanks
paul1

paul1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for comments lads,

I've been looking at Powerlogix.

If I was going to get another Mac it was going to be a laptop because I'm a photographer, and keep my G4 to run my scanner and printer. But am I right in assuming that even the latest powerbooks still use G4 CPUs because the G5s emit so much heat? I must admit I could be wrong, I haven't looked into this.

Can you recommend a G5 to get 2nd hand?

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Mac laptops switched from PowerPC chips to Intel chips in January 2006, when the PowerBook name was dropped in favour of MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Check out apple.com.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Forums...iMac ram question | c'mon help a n00b out- g4 upgrade? »