New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - i have a dvd stuck in my mac pro...help!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hitower59

hitower59 is on a distinguished road

ok it was a stupid thing to do, but now i have a dvd in my mac pro, i cannot retrieve it, i cannot play it, i cannot start my mac, it just comes up a blank screen everytime i attempt to restart, please please help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

There isn't anything that should prevent your Mac from starting up...
Try this, shut it off, restart, hold down you mouse clicker. That will force (should) the drive to spit out the disk.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Start in safe mode - Power on and as soon as the start up tone is heard press and hold the shift key. When the grey apple appears release the shift key.

Once up and running command and E will spit out the DVD....I hope.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
hitower59

thanks, but still no luck, i tried holding down shift on srart up with no response at all, just grey screen, I also tried holding down the mouse button on start up, no response at all again, just a blank screen..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here's another trick I found.
When you boot, hold down cmd+option+O+F and when you get to the command line type 'eject cd' hit enter then macboot or 'mac boot' (it tells you which one on the top of the screen)

Is the DVD a movie or is it your OS X disk?

Temporarily, if you are needing to get booted on your Mac, you could disconnect the optical drive.

Another I found with a little modification since you can't boot - while booting with the mouse button held down, also try inserting a cd partially into the slot under where it normally loads, kind of like trying to use a shim. Found several posts where this worked. (Would use a blank)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Believe it or not my local daily paper today has hints on how to deal with this.

1. eject button
2. Cmd-E
3. select the item in Finder & click the eject button next to its name
or
drag the item to the trash
or
hit the F12 key
4. open Disk Utility select the dvd and eject
5. restart Mac holding down the mouse button

If none of these work there's a couple more hints but involve going a little deeper.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay View Post
Believe it or not my local daily paper today has hints on how to deal with this.

1. eject button
2. Cmd-E
3. select the item in Finder & click the eject button next to its name
or
drag the item to the trash
or
hit the F12 key
4. open Disk Utility select the dvd and eject
5. restart Mac holding down the mouse button

If none of these work there's a couple more hints but involve going a little deeper.
If there are more - post them - as in, per his above posts the first 4 are out since he cannot boot his machine to try any of them and he has already tried the 5th one.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

The OS doesn't have to boot in order for number 5 to work. It works before the apple logo even appears. I think it's a hard-coded hardware/firmware thingy.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
hitower59

yesssss, the cmd+option+O+F worked, I had to wait around 30 seconds for the apple to appear, thanks all for your help...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Glad to help hitower

QUOTE Thanks
wyattoons

wyattoons is on a distinguished road

If it happens in the future, and you have some time of your hands, read that little novella that came with your computer, the one about a little Mexican boy named Manual. I recommend the section where he becomes a troubleshooter, especially the big action scene on page 55.

Or, you can turn the computer off. Manually push the drive cover down to expose the drive behind it. And insert a paper clip in the eject pinhole that has been on every IDE optical drive since they were introduced. That's what Manual would have done.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« acard problems for large hard drive no sound | PowerMac G4 RAM »