New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Quick question before buying a new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nrh83

nrh83 is on a distinguished road

Im going to be buying an intel iMac soon but I have a question about performance. Ive been reading threw these forums alot and have seen a few threads with people saying there iMacs are a bit slow, I was wondering if this is just caused by the emulation software or is there something else causing it?

The reason I ask is cause I had an iMac G4 1ghz 256mb of ram and it was really slow, Slow to launch and work with apps and I just want to make sure thats not going to happen again. The iMac im looking at is the 17" 2ghz intel with 1gb of ram, Should I really get 2 gb of ram or will I be fine with 1? I just want to make sure theres no slowness to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrh83 View Post
The reason I ask is cause I had an iMac G4 1ghz 256mb of ram and it was really slow, . . .
That's why it was slow. 256 is the minimum amount of RAM to run OS X, in a G4, anyway. There was nothing left over for the apps, so everything it would otherwise keep in RAM had to be written to the disk and retrieved from it.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I have the 17 2hgz Imac with 1gig of ram. I am pleased with the performance. I am not a heavy user, so of course the amount ram you need is what you use the computer for.
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

shmendall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo

My Vista has 1GB and Vista's Requirement is 1GB and it runs "OK"
so I imagine Mac OS X will run quite lovley on 1GB
I hope! because I am going to get one myself!

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
nrh83

nrh83 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone!!! Looks like im going to be geting the 17" 2ghz with 1 gig of ram then! See you over in mac-world soon!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrh83 View Post
Thanks everyone!!! Looks like im going to be geting the 17" 2ghz with 1 gig of ram then! See you over in mac-world soon!!!!
Congrats.

Heres what you wanna do for that huge boost in performance:

1) Buy the iMac 2.0Ghz with 1GB of Ram.

Then buy a 2GB Stick of RAM (50?) and you will have 3GB of ram which will give you great performance.

But anywho, point was - 3rd party ram is way cheaper than Apple Ram.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

You won't have 3 GB of ram if you add 2GB to your 1 GB. As the 1 GB in the mac is 2 x 512MB sticks. And replacing one with a 2 GB only gives you 2.5 GB ram
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues with Superdrive | Fading to blue screen »