New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro: ram upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cthulhu

Cthulhu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad-core 64-bit workstation

hey I'm planning on buying some new ram for my Quad Core Mac Pro, but I don't want to spend $300 dollars for the 1GB apple ram (><).
I'm looking to spend about $100, any ideas where I can find some dependable, fast and (most importantly) cheap ram?
looking for 2 GB if possible... though I kinda figure that not gonna happen.

Thanks for all your help!
(it seems that Mac Pros need fully buffered DIMM)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Are you looking for 2GB in total or 2GB modules?

If you want a 2GB (2 x 1GB) kit, then check this out:

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM

If you're more interested in a single 2GB stick, then take a look at this:

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM

Though keep in mind that FB-DIMMs need to be installed in pairs. So if you buy that single 2GB stick, you will need to pair it with another 2GB stick. Since you're upgrading, you won't have any spare sticks in your Mac Pro to pair it with

Oh, and here's a 4GB (2 x 2GB) kit if you're interested:

Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

I can't see the point in buying the top of the range CPUs and then scrimping on the RAM. Would you buy a sports car and fit the cheapest tires possible?

While Apple's memory is expensive and the RAM chips aren't unique to Apple, they are the only modules that are proven to be totally compatible with the Mac Pro.

I have Crucial RAM in my Pro and I have no problems, however I don't have a quad core Mac Pro (2.66Ghz runs a lot cooler).
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Are you looking for 2GB in total or 2GB modules?

If you want a 2GB (2 x 1GB) kit, then check this out:

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM

If you're more interested in a single 2GB stick, then take a look at this:

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM

Though keep in mind that FB-DIMMs need to be installed in pairs. So if you buy that single 2GB stick, you will need to pair it with another 2GB stick. Since you're upgrading, you won't have any spare sticks in your Mac Pro to pair it with

Oh, and here's a 4GB (2 x 2GB) kit if you're interested:

Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM
Those don't appear to have the required heatsinks. You must!!! get RAM designed for the Mac Pro, doesn't have to be Apple branded, but it needs the correct heatsinks. These modules run hot as they have a memory controller on them.
QUOTE Thanks
DaYCEnt

DaYCEnt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers

MCE Technologies has 2Gb sticks for the MBP for $99. This is where I'm getting mine for my iMac. Same sticks.
2Gb RAM sticks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Joe West

Joe West is on a distinguished road

I just purchased another 8Gb of memory from Crucial (4x 2Gb sticks) and it was right around $875... about the same price as I paid for HALF (4Gb) of memory from Crucial on 4/16/07.

Memory prices are clearly dropping with the release of the 4Gb sticks.

Joe

Mac Pro 8-core, 3Tb HD, 13Gb RAM, Dual SuperDrives, ATI Radeon X 1900, Bluetooth, and AirPort Extreme running OSX Server 10.4.9 Mac Pro is serving up http://www.virtualjeepclub.com
QUOTE Thanks
Cthulhu

"MCE Technologies has 2Gb sticks for the MBP for $99. This is where I'm getting mine for my iMac. Same sticks.
2Gb RAM sticks!!"

well... the only problem with that is.
Its notebook ram...
it won't work in my Mac Pro (the tower)
QUOTE Thanks
Cthulhu

A friend of mine suggested something interesting, He said it might be possible to buy the ram with the right specifications without the heat sink and just add it on later. is that possible?
heres the ram I was thinking about using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134085

there are some reviews that said this worked really well with the mac pro.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Why buy a professional workstation and then be a cheap-skate with the RAM?

The RAM is very important, if you have problems with the RAM you'll have a very unstable system.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

gilesjuk, do you have any evidence showing that RAMsinks are absolutely necessary for FB-DIMMs?

Yes, I realize they run hotter, but from everything I have read and seen myself, there's really no benefit to a RAMsink. In fact, they actually tend to trap heat. You're better off getting bare sticks and then make sure there is good airflow, which the Mac Pro towers clearly have.

Cthulhu, don't worry about the heatsinks on the RAM. And don't listen to the FUD about memory offered by Apple to be the "only" ones guaranteed to work 100% with Macs

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Joe West

Joe West is on a distinguished road

Assuming the heatsink on the ram is installed correctly and there is good thermal conductivity between the IC package and the heatsink; the increased surface area of the heatsink (RAMsink) WILL ABSOLUTELY dissipate more heat and cause the integrated circuit to run cooler.

As an electrical engineer who has completed many a thermal stress analysis... heatsinks DO indeed make a difference and it is fair to assume that the designers of RAM heatsinks did their homework and designed the interface to the actual IC properly.

This isn't arbitrary kiddies... if apple recommends heatsinks; USE THEM... if you want to listen to someone who thinks they know more than Apple on whether or not a heatsink is needed... you deserve what you get.

Trust me when I say that Apple's engineers put quite a bit of time and design effort into determining whether or not a heatsink is necessary and listening to anyone other than apple on this subject is simply foolish.

Certainly, your RAM could work without a heatsink under normal conditions... but what happens when you fully load it and all processors are running (we call this "worst-case" in the engineering world)? Do you really want to risk skimping out on a heatsink on your multi-thousand dollar machine?

Joe

Quote:
gilesjuk, do you have any evidence showing that RAMsinks are absolutely necessary for FB-DIMMs?

Yes, I realize they run hotter, but from everything I have read and seen myself, there's really no benefit to a RAMsink. In fact, they actually tend to trap heat. You're better off getting bare sticks and then make sure there is good airflow, which the Mac Pro towers clearly have.

Cthulhu, don't worry about the heatsinks on the RAM. And don't listen to the FUD about memory offered by Apple to be the "only" ones guaranteed to work 100% with Macs

Mac Pro 8-core, 3Tb HD, 13Gb RAM, Dual SuperDrives, ATI Radeon X 1900, Bluetooth, and AirPort Extreme running OSX Server 10.4.9 Mac Pro is serving up http://www.virtualjeepclub.com
QUOTE Thanks
wyattoons

wyattoons is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If properly installed, a heat sink on ram does it's job just as well as a heat sink on a CPU, motorcycle engine or anything else. They conduct the heat out and away from the RAM and dissipate it at the wings. There more surface area, the better they work, a difference from going from 4 to 6 wings can amount to 10 degrees f.

The ramsinks are used to keep the RAM cool, the cooler the RAM, the faster it functions, that should be good enough a reason to use it. If not, then consider that Apple requires them as part of their warranty.

I'm surprised it's not a moot point yet anyway, all reputable dealers sell their Mac Pro RAM with heatsinks included...Crucial, OWC, TechIntl, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
higginsoft

higginsoft is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macpro 2.66

I have two 512KB sticks from memory-up.com. It worked fine until it got hot this summer. My computer started locking up and when I removed the memory, the computer stopped locking up. Does anyone know where to get the type of heatsinks required for use in a MacPro? I've tried contacting Memory-Up, but they've chosen to ignore any emails to them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory upgrade | Does this RAM work with an iMac 24" 2.16 Ghz (usually 2x512MB) »