New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - eMac RAM info needed...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

My cuz is looking to pick up this 1.25GHz eMac on eBay. It's for pickup only so we should be able to get an excellent price for it, like $250 ish.
I am going through Mactracker to get specs and it says it holds a max of 1GB of PC2700 RAM even though it has two slots. It should be able to hold 2- 1GB sticks. Mactracker is good at deciphering the difference between actual max RAM specs and Apple RAM specs. Does anyone know if this is this an error with Mactracker or does the 1.25GHz eMac (USB2.0) only support 1GB?
Has anyone tried?
I usually go by my rule of though which is check the speed of the bus and fit the max RAM stick in each slot which is usually more than Apple's specs.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

That particular eMac will hold 2GB MAX PC2700.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Thanks, I was assuming it did but I haven't found an error with Mactracker so I wanted to make sure first.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Snuffy

Snuffy is on a distinguished road

So can the eMac actually run with two gigs or RAM? Or is the eMac limited to usue one gig due to some infrastructure nonsense?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
So can the eMac actually run with two gigs or RAM? Or is the eMac limited to use one gig due to some infrastructure nonsense?
Mactracker is 100% accurate, but make sure which model of eMac it is. It was only the 1.25 and the 1.42 GHz eMacs that would operate 2 Gb RAM. The usual advice is matched pairs too.
QUOTE Thanks
Libitina

Libitina is on a distinguished road

Very new to Mac's, and on browsing recently found this site. Mac Upgrades - Macintosh Upgrades in the UK

LiBiTiNa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Mac | Linking 2 Monitors »