New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Replace Motherboard on my PowerMac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aepmac

aepmac is on a distinguished road

I have a Apple PowerMac G5 DUAL 2.0GHZ/4GB RAM

I was told by the Apple Store that a capacitor on the motherboard was no good, and I would have to replace the motherboard to fix it.

Is this easy to do if I try and do it myself?

Any links to step-by-step instructions?

Any special tools needed?

Pitfalls?

Thanks,

aepmac
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.welovemacs.com/6612950.html

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

first off, just to inform you a motherboard in apple world is refered to as a logic board

major pitfalls: PRICE! just a link for example: http://www.welovemacs.com/6612950.html

you are going to be spending between 700-1000 for a new logic board

step by step instructions are going to basically be: unplug computer, makeing sure to have and use an anti-static wrist strap to prevent further harm to your computer, remove all the parts. unscrew logic board, replace and put back together, it should not be difficult at all

a note to consider, make sure you are 200% positive you have the correct logic board when ordering.

my own personal recomendation would be to upgrade to a new intel mac, either imac or mac pro because of the price it will cost to repair. yes it will cost you some extra money but you can also go ahead and part out your old computer either here or on ebay. you can sell your optical drive, HD, RAM, fans, case etc and get a whole bunch of money....or just sell the entire thing as one for a litttle less than you would get for parts

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

If the board is hosed anyway, is it worth getting some electronics dude to try and replace the capacitor?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stupid but needed question | MacPro Screams? »