New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Stupid but needed question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Redlight

Redlight is on a distinguished road

I presently use a single 1.8 ghz G5. Can someone please tell me the speed gain I will get by purchasing the 3.0 quad or the 3.0 8 core. I am sorry to ask such a basic question but I spend my time using these darn things (photographer - Photoshop) so I don't have a real good base of tech knowledge. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i cant give you any specific examples but basically your computing will go from good to crazy fast.....the quad and 8 core might even be too much computer if you are just doing photoshop
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Redlight

Well I shoot Large Format images that are around 600 megs. Some glaciers move faster than the processing of these files. FYI, I am using Photoshop CS with 1 meg of RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlight View Post
Well I shoot Large Format images that are around 600 megs. Some glaciers move faster than the processing of these files. FYI, I am using Photoshop CS with 1 meg of RAM.
i hope you mean gig, because if you're using 1 meg, thats your problem right there the mac pro will be a very good upgrade for you. There is no such thing as too much power.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Redlight

Gig would be accurate.

I guess I am looking for some quantitative answer such as 23x faster or 50 times faster. A LOT faster or MUCH faster doesn't really tell me much.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't think your going to get that here, or possibly anywhere.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I can not tell you for sure how much the 8 core would be, but the 4 core, is 1.4 times faster then the G5 quad. The G5 Quad has 4 G5's in it operating at 2.5ghz each. Your computer has a single G5 running at 1.8... so although we do not have actual numbers, it is a significant increase of power.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Redlight

Thanks. I just wanted some sense of what speed improvement there would be. I appreciate the info.

http://www.garydwhalen.com
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I'm sure it depends on how the application works, but I have a g5 1 x 1.8 and a quad 2.66, and the quad blows the G5 away in some apps, but in others you don't see much difference.

The big differences are things like video ripping - handbrake for example, which I use to rip my DVDs to mp4 to put on my Ipod, absolutely flies on the quad. It runs roughly 10 x the speed of the G5.

At the moment the quad is a bit short of RAM too, it only has the standard 1gb. I don't know if more RAM will speed things up more.

Hard disk intensive things don't make much difference - I did some heavy rearranging of files last weekend, moving blocks of 50 - 100gb or so around the disks, and that wasn't noticeably faster than it would be on the G5. No surprise though, clearly that's limited by the speed of the disks, it doesn't need much processor power.

But the answer is really that some things are much faster, some are about the same, but I haven't found anything slower.

On the other hand, unfortunately I have to say that in my experience it's not the 23x or 50x you were looking for. Maybe when apps are written specifically to use the multiple cores things will perk up, but the leap isn't as big as that.

I'm very pleased with it, it was well worth buying as far as I'm concerned, but mines just my home PC. I don't do any 'work' on it at all, so I may not be as critical as others.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Well I shoot Large Format images that are around 600 megs.
wo ! nice size !

i wouldnt know the figures but your computing would definatly speed up.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you went with the Mac Pro, you would also gain performance speed by upgrading to Photoshop CS3. On Intel-based Macs, Adobe CS and CS2 apps will only run under Rosetta emulation and from what I have read here and there, it seems to slow things down considerably.
QUOTE Thanks
Redlight

Thanks to all of you. I am hoping that when Leopard comes out it will take better advantage of the quad and 8 core processors. That said, I need one now and I guess the 3.0 quad will work very well for what I do. Regardless it will work much better than what I have now. Isn't it odd though. Three years ago when I bought the 1.8 is was dubbed as the newest SUPER computer.

And the CS3 advice is well received and will certainly go that route.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Thanks to all of you. I am hoping that when Leopard comes out it will take better advantage of the quad and 8 core processors. That said, I need one now and I guess the 3.0 quad will work very well for what I do. Regardless it will work much better than what I have now. Isn't it odd though. Three years ago when I bought the 1.8 is was dubbed as the newest SUPER computer.

And the CS3 advice is well received and will certainly go that route.
Well, it was pretty fast at the time. 3 years is a long time in computing!
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
Well, it was pretty fast at the time. 3 years is a long time in computing!
Isn't that the truth these days? You blink and you're behind again!

Crud I winked, I'm now behind half a step...noooooooooooooooo
QUOTE Thanks
Redlight

Well I bought my first computer in 1981. Dual floppy disks. Constantly switching them out from program to files. Also remember the 1200 baud rate on my modem. Osborne computer with amber screen. Then "upgraded" to a Texas Instruments followed by a REAL IBM. So, I have seen the speed increase so that they could handle the bloated software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Booting a g3 iMac from USB CD? | Replace Motherboard on my PowerMac G5 »